iPhone about to be unlocked!

cyprus mac man

Expert Macintosh...er
Hey everyone,

Not sure if anyone has heard, but hackers including the famous Norwegian hacker DVD Jon have said that they have discovered a way to activate the iPhone WITHOUT using iTunes, and thus not having to use an AT&T service. DVD Jon was reported as saying that it was a breakthrough and next they will unlock the iPhone, which according to him, should be within one week, or as he put it, three to seven days. Things are looking good.

Links to the sites are here:
http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;633763875;fp;16;fpid;1
http://www.powerpage.org/2007/07/hackers_could_crack_finish_unlocking_iphone_in_three_to_seven_days.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/06/iphone_unlocking/

Cyprus Mac Man

i'll use the iPhone with AT&T, i don't care. I just wana use it in other countries and NOT pay $3 per minute, thats all. I can't wait.

let's say they have figured out how to unlock it, what does that mean exactly. What I mean is, is this something anyone could do -- like could John Smith buy an iPhone, bring it home, run some kind of crack software, then slip in his provider's SIM card and carry on? Or is it something that must be done by an expert?

Also, is this illegal? I'm sure it would void warranty, but other than that, could third party sellers unlock an iPhone freely, as they do with other phones?

seems to me if doing this is going to bar you from ever updating firmware/software it really is not worth it. There are a lot of issues with the software that I"m sure will be addressed soon enough. I would hate to be forced to look on as everyone else enjoys features I cannot participate in.

aah cool. so could a 3rd party seller advertise it? If I owned a mobile phone store and could unlock an iPhone I would want to paint my windows with all sorts of advertising.

BUT...Where would said dealer buy them? If at retail, it wouldn't be able to sell them at any profit. If they did, little useability.

An exercise in futility---only proving it can be done.

I suppose, but you could just advertise the fact that someone can bring their own iPhone in to be unlocked, and charge X amount of dollars for the service. you'd make a killing!

He's unlocked the phone, but it's useless after doing it. You can browse the web on WiFi or use as an iPod, but you can not use the phone feature on other carriers.

That's why I wouldn't use the term "unlocked" for this. "Unlocked" is if the SIM-lock has been opened, which hasn't been done so far, as I understand. This is merely some activation-wizardry, that allows you to circumvent activation on at&t.

... and then would not use E-Mail and Web when outside of WiFi range? I think the iPhone is one of those phones, where a data plan _definitely_ makes sense, because you'll _want_ to use it online wherever you are.

yah, but there is pretty much wifi's everywere, and I not the biggest web surfer and email checker, I would use it more for a phone and an iPod.

WiFi everywhere alright, but 33 out of 34 around here are locked down by now. Stupid WiFi-owners are a dying breed where I live. Guess that's a good thing (for them), too. :)

I just wish you didnt have to get a data plan.

COuldn't you do this by using the pre-paid option? last I heard, you did not have to get their per-month plan.

I'm with you, I am almost never not in range of wifi, whether it be at home or work, or at a friend's place. I don't want to add more $ to my monthly bills for something that I will use maybe 5% of the time.

Well, Uniquephones in the UK is about to release the public BETA of their software to unlock the iPhone. Basically, the company got its developers together and created all new firmware for the iPhone, which can then be installed. They say that since its such a big job for them, it will cost $50 for the firmware.

Also, if I could, I would get JUST an Unlimited Data plan. I can get free IM w/ iPhone programs, free txt at www.txtdrop.com, and free calling on Skype via SoonR Talk. If you havn't heard, SoonR Talk basically allows you to access your comp via Internet Browser, including Skype, which would be running on you computer. Pretty Cool.

Oh, one last thing, I heard you CAN set the iPhone up w/ a pre-paid/pay-as-you-go plan, but not sure how. Check google.

Back