iPhone early adopters get $100 credit to any Apple store purchase

Giaguara

Chmod 760
Staff member
Mod
Wow.

I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

Snippets from and more at http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/

nearly a million iPhones shifted since June.

$100 rebate for every one, should they want it

potential $100,000,000 payout.

ouch.

Bravo Apple, and Bravo Steve.

This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.

I could not possibly agree more. My iMac cost me 170% more than today's iMac, just three years down the road. Was it worth it though? You bet. All that really means to me is that while back then the Apple brand was really for those who were willing to spend a little more for a high-end computer, whereas now it is becoming more accessible to everyone. Great. My next computer will be a Mac, and my next media player will be an iPod, simply because my experiences with Apple products have always been overwhelmingly positive.

I think this rebate will be a costly move for Apple in the short term, but in terms of credibility and customer loyalty they have just found themselves a whole new generation of devoted fans (in the iPhone owners demographic, these tend to be influential, busy and tech-savvy people too, so thats a good bonus for Apple).

Bravo Apple, and Bravo Steve.

I could not possibly agree more. My iMac cost me 170% more than today's iMac, just three years down the road. Was it worth it though? You bet. All that really means to me is that while back then the Apple brand was really for those who were willing to spend a little more for a high-end computer, whereas now it is becoming more accessible to everyone. Great. My next computer will be a Mac, and my next media player will be an iPod, simply because my experiences with Apple products have always been overwhelmingly positive.

I think this rebate will be a costly move for Apple in the short term, but in terms of credibility and customer loyalty they have just found themselves a whole new generation of devoted fans (in the iPhone owners demographic, these tend to be influential, busy and tech-savvy people too, so thats a good bonus for Apple).

Absolutely, Symphonix. I wholeheartedly agree with your post.

Well, how many people will really take Apple up on the offer? I bet less than 1/3 of iPhone purchases.

They probably over priced them to get the real loyal people to buy the phone, then offer them $100 back to make them extra extra loyal forever. And then people who thought the offer was a rip off will be thinking... "Wow, the iPhone isnt that expensive anymore and apples a good hearted company".

Haha,

It hope the credit includes the iTunes store

I thought it was a great gesture on Apple's part to honor those that did go ahead and adopt early. Although I did tell people to wait (and they didn't listen), I think this is an added bonus for adopting early, which as mentioned will cost Apple in the short term but will lead to long-lasting, loyal customers. Heck, for those bonuses it might even lead to more people adopting early for other products as well. Seems like a very lucrative marketing ploy to me for both Apple and the consumers.

It's kind of funny that Apple is giving out a $100 rebate for use in their store, though. I mean, there really aren't a lot of things available that are less than $100. Even the new wireless keyboard will set you back $79. This rebate will cover, at best, about two items from the store.

Think about it, this is very smart by Apple from a marketing perspective.

Loyal fans pay full price for a device, then Apple offer $100 of store credit back to them. They think "wow this is great", and make $100 worth of purchases, so Apple really isn't losing all that much here.

From the outside, it looks like an incredibly nice gesture. Apple push out more products from their stores, and those without an iPhone will jump at the lower price.

But they can also buy (for example) a Mac mini for 699 and then get 100 off too. Its not like they can only buy stuff for $100 max.

Think about it, this is very smart by Apple from a marketing perspective.

Loyal fans pay full price for a device, then Apple offer $100 of store credit back to them. They think "wow this is great", and make $100 worth of purchases, so Apple really isn't losing all that much here.

From the outside, it looks like an incredibly nice gesture. Apple push out more products from their stores, and those without an iPhone will jump at the lower price.

Great minds think alike, I suppose. ;)

It is a PR coup, only good things can come of it.

But...

Everyone should have known that the thing was arbitrarily priced. Steve said "... so what should we charge for this mutha?" or something. Then he stacked up the price of a smart phone and an iPod and said - "... why not 5 clams for the one and 6 for the otha!"

My sister bought one first day out and is very happy with it, appreciates the three months of "... child-like wonder". She may take advantage of the rebate, but only because it's there and she has other Apple gear in her sites.

I suppose this price drop was a little quick in coming, but if you are going to be an early adopter this is the price you pay, with anyone and anything. Apple's offer is good PR, but more than likely anyone using their $100 offer will end getting with more than $100 worth of stuff. It is human nature, especially the type of person who buys a $500 phone! No, this isn't out of the goodness of Job's heart unless you are one to dip repeatedly into the Apple cool aid well, this is just business.

I suppose this price drop was a little quick in coming, but if you are going to be an early adopter this is the price you pay, with anyone and anything. Apple's offer is good PR, but more than likely anyone using their $100 offer will end getting with more than $100 worth of stuff. It is human nature, especially the type of person who buys a $500 phone! No, this isn't out of the goodness of Job's heart unless you are one to dip repeatedly into the Apple cool aid well, this is just business.

Yes, it is business, but it's a win-win for both Apple and their customers. Think about it. Veljo and I basically think the same in this regard. Of course, I have to wonder if Apple will keep this up (or similar offers) as an incentive for people to adopt early in the future. Something like this would definitely convert a good number of us that don't like to purchase 1st-gen Apple products.

Back