iPhone/iPod touch SDK

Qion

Uber Nothing
Steve Jobs said:
Third Party Applications on the iPhone

Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.

Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve

P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch.

Taken from Apple's start page.

Finally. But why did SJ and Co. make us all wait so long? It's kept many potentially early adopters away and now they're suspicious; and rightly so.

because not much about the iPhone was really ready in june, the time consuming stuff like localization, the development platform, the 3G, the Wifi Music Store, the Youtube bit (safari can't view flash on the iPhone, which cripples it seeing as youtube is one of the most popular websites in the world) etc...

it all smacks of trying to get it out before it was ready (real artists ship etc)

also, will this be a 'controlled environment' (ie, sold through itunes), or a more open free/shareware get up? it's more about those little tweaks that i'd be happy with, not the big apps...

Finally. But why did SJ and Co. make us all wait so long? It's kept many potentially early adopters away and now they're suspicious; and rightly so.

R&D takes time, even if you're Apple. All these whiney consumers think about is themselves; give a little slack to the company that's making it happen at all.

yeah, but they _had_ to develop an SDK, anyway, right? apple's not coding everything "by hand" themselves. they just have to make it ready for developers, and what that really means is: they need to set the right restrictions. i think they _really_ thought they could keep the iPhone a closed environment like the iPod (pre touch).

R&D takes time, even if you're Apple. All these whiney consumers think about is themselves; give a little slack to the company that's making it happen at all.

There's a big difference in caving to pressure and actually telling people what your plans are from the start. I don't call it 'whining' when apple tells developers that SDK will not be produced and then changes course 180 degrees. They made a mistake, I think.

As with any communication issue: Timing is everything.

By the way, why should I give any company, especially a publicly traded one, slack in either direction?? This is business after all. If they piss of their customers, they will pay the consequences with customers and developers voting with their cash.

Why do they need to secure the phone when it is running one of the "most secure operating system on earth", according to some? Seems like part of this "securing" could be locking the phone to AT&T..

Why do they need to secure the phone when it is running one of the "most secure operating system on earth", according to some? Seems like part of this "securing" could be locking the phone to AT&T..
That's my thinking too. "Wait till we totally squirrel away the baseband so no-one can unlock the sim block."

Well, if Apple actually lets 3rd party devs create great software that adds to the overall experience while making sure the iPhone isn't "freed" from its contract, I'm all for it. I _hope_ we'll be able to buy iPhones without contract one day because I'm no particular fan of lock-in, but it's their prerogative.
In France there's a law that makes Apple sell the phone without contract six months after the introduction of the phone with contract, so at least in May next year, I could hop over the border and get one like that. ;) But I guess by then I'll want iPhone 2 with UMTS/HSDPA or something.

Well, if Apple actually lets 3rd party devs create great software that adds to the overall experience while making sure the iPhone isn't "freed" from its contract, I'm all for it. I _hope_ we'll be able to buy iPhones without contract one day because I'm no particular fan of lock-in, but it's their prerogative.
In France there's a law that makes Apple sell the phone without contract six months after the introduction of the phone with contract, so at least in May next year, I could hop over the border and get one like that. ;) But I guess by then I'll want iPhone 2 with UMTS/HSDPA or something.

I have an iPhone. I don't have a contract. You can set it up as a pay as you go phone... I guess it's a bit contractive that I'm stuck using AT&T, but I owe them nothing legally.

And I am also for safety and great programs, even if it takes a couple months. I don't really care; I still have the best phone on the market.

(This is why I think that consumers are "whining": "I have the greatest mobile device ever made, but dammit, I want it to be better, right now!")

I am more interested in Web 2.0 apps
for my iPod touch. Seems like Apple wanted
us to move away from installing applications
on devices and instead use the network. Besides, what
apps are a must for iPhone/touch users?

A phone is inherently less secure than a computer because they are always connected and not behind any type of firewall. From the previous hacks, it looks like the only user account on the phone was the root account which allows every application full access to everything. This is very insecure for 3rd party applications.

Also, just because OS X is very secure on a computer doesn't mean they should assume it is secure on a phone. That opens up a lot of different scenarios that a computer doesn't have.

All indications from the iPhone hackers is that the original firmware was a major hack and not really complete. More like beta code that they had to get out there to meet the iPhone ship date. The newest firmware is much more finished according to them.

So, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of time trying to get an SDK out at launch because a few people want it. They needed to finish the firmware and stabilize the APIs first.

A phone is inherently less secure than a computer because they are always connected and not behind any type of firewall.

First, that's not true. Your iPhone is _not_ always connected to the internet. Always connected to the phone network, yes, but EDGE is activated and deactivated on the user's demand automatically, so the phone's not available for an attack through the internet at _any_ time. Rather, the _computer_ is always connected nowadays, so it's the _other_ way 'round.

And about the firewall: I think Tiger's firewall is deactivated by default, isn't it? Also: The iPhone runs Mac OS X. A firewall would be very, very easy to do therefore. It just has to be "added", I guess it'd be a matter of checking a value at Apple's headquarters.

Where did I say Internet? The wireless is on 99% of the time unless you're in airplane mode. Other phones have been infected through bluetooth without the user doing anything.

Back