Iphone Music Not Syncing With Macbook - Ios 9.3.2

wickerman

Registered
Macbook with El Capitan 10.11.5
iPhone 5s with IOS 9.3.2

Music is not syncing. I have tried various USB ports, including two different hubs and going direct. (I get continuous error alert bleeps when I try to connect directly, so I usually use a hub.) Sometimes I get an alert on my iPhone saying the USB cable is not certified (although it's the one that came with my phone). Can anyone suggest what's going on, and why my Contacts sync OK but my Music doesn't?

Last edited:
If you are getting alerts to a bad usb connection, how are your contacts syncing?

Have you checked the port on your phone? Dirt and dust can collect in there, making a bad connection. Clean the contacts on the cable (both ends) and the phone. A q-tip and 91% alcohol will do the trick.

Thanks. I have cleaned the cable. No recent alerts regarding the connector.

Music still isn't syncing. As far as I can tell, Contacts and Photos sync fine.

What does the error report say within iTunes? If something is set to be synched and can't be, there's usually an error message detailing the problem. Otherwise, music simply isn't set to being synched (for example, if you're using Apple Music).

There's no error message or alert in iTunes. It goes through the synching process without any Music being changed. I have set iTunes to synch specific artists but it's not doing this. In fact, it's not changing any of my music. I don't use Apple Music.

Check your preferences. Music syncing may have been unchecked. The preferences come up in iTunes when you connect the phone to your computer. It should be the first page that appears.

Try changing the setting to sync Music. Turn it off, then turn it on. See if the toggle helps to wake it up.

I unchecked and hit Apply. All the current songs remained on the phone. Then I re-checked and hit Apply. It updated songs with new purchases but it still has not synched the artists checked with the ones on iTunes. There's no correlation that I can see with the artists on the phone and the ones I've checked on iTunes.

Tried unchecking Music and Applying again, then turning phone off and back on. Music is all still on the phone. Also, I'm getting the cable error alert on the phone again.

I've just noticed that I've got some albums checked in the panel. Don't know how that happened but that accounts for some of the discrepancy. However, even after removing all checked albums and re-syncing I'm still seeing loads of artists on the phone that shouldn't be there. It's really annoying.

There are also old songs on my iTunes desktop which won't appear on my phone.

Last edited:
Give it all a rest. Quit iTunes, turn off the phone. After about 10 minutes, turn on the phone, then try syncing again.

It's still showing the same artists. I'm going to have to contact Apple Support or take it into my Apple Centre and get them to look at it.

Well: Another option would be to make sure you have a backup of the phone and restore it. Sometimes things can go awry, and a restore should (or could at least) make things better. Worst case scenario: Restore and set up as a new device. This is the uncomfortable version, because you'll have to create all your settings again, choose your apps etc.

As I know, we can't sync iPhone music(expect music purchased from iTunes store) to computer via iTunes. We need an iOS Data Manager program to help us transfer music files to computer via USB Cable.

As I know, we can't sync iPhone music(expect music purchased from iTunes store) to computer via iTunes. We need an iOS Data Manager program to help us transfer music files to computer via USB Cable.

That is an app to help you take control of your mobile data usage and save money on your monthly phone bill. It does nothing to help sync music from your computer.

Back