Iphone no compared to Zune

This is actually the first cellphone I might want. If only it weren't so bloody expensive, and tied to a US carrier (there are cellphone networks in other countries...).

And also, it had better get a terminal and a wireless sniffer...

Anyone else think this finally explains widgets? I mean, they make absolutely no sense in a desktop OS - in that context they look like someone amended a blueprint with a blunt crayon. But on a PDA type gizmo, they're in their element.

What do you mean in the keynote they said "not subsidized"? *I* only saw 499 and 599 "with 2 year contract", which sounds _totally_ subsidized to me.

They didn't say. But I don't think it really matters - and Apple gets that. The user doesn't (and shouldn't have to) care what processor runs in it at what speed: The interface should be quick and that's it.

They didn't say. But I don't think it really matters - and Apple gets that. The user doesn't (and shouldn't have to) care what processor runs in it at what speed: The interface should be quick and that's it.

I care. I can't wait for the specs on the processor to come out.

I've heard it reported that internet access is available through Cingular's network however, the iPhone will automatically switch to WiFi if it senses a network available. If it's a free hotspot then you have free access. You are not obligated to use Cingular's network at the point.
Usually when you refer to a "network" in relation to a cell phone, you're referring to the actual phone service more-so than the internet service option. Their call network is what totally sucks and is what most of us are talking about...at least, that's what I was talking about.

I faintly recall hearing Steve mention something about some kind of flash expansion. Still looking at around 2 gigs there.

Also, I am positive that ole Steve said that Apple only had an exclusivity contract with Cingular in the USA ONLY! So there is hope out there for the rest of the world. I personally have been a Cingular customer since 2001 and have only had one serious problem.

I care. I can't wait for the specs on the processor to come out.

Most phone companies I know never write what sort of processor is inside a handy - but you know, maybe Apple will - but it _is_ sort of not that important. It could be, since its shipping only in Febuary that they didnt decide yet, or did you check www.apple.com/iphone/specs ? Does it say there?

btw, am I the only one who would actually like an iPhone without the phone? It would be cool if they made a 6G iPod with all the cool touch features, widgets, etc. but without the phone for a hundred or so less.

I would love them to sell one without a phone in it, since I use Verizon. I think it would be more a PDA than an iPod though, but I'd buy it. It would also be cool if the non-phone version could link with a bluetooth phone, but that is probably asking for a bit too much.

I think that the iPhone is a quantum leap ahead in personal communication compared to the competition, in many ways, but in other ways it falls short. I think that for personal use it will work well, but for corporate environments, it's not quite there yet. Many corporate environments forbid camera phones and any unauthorized camera. Anyone giving a presentation of any kind must lug around a notebook with PowerPoint on it, or at least a USB memory stick with the presentation on it to give to the one person in the room with the notebook (which is connected to the large external display). It would be nice if iPhone were more or a PDA that would run 3rd party applications like Microsoft Office... you could just plug-in iPhone through the bottom connector to the large display and give your presentation by pressing virtual buttons on its screen to advance or review slides. The ability to handle 'Office' files will help promote iPhone very far, because whether or not we like, the world runs on MS Office.

Seeing Safari run in full screen mode with ability to zoom-in to read the text and see pictures is really very nice, and the interface to do it is nice as well. The iPhone just needs a little more Newton in it make it an excellent product. Perhaps the next iteration of high-end iPod will share those features - editing contacts, calendars, and notes and syncing them with your Macintosh when connected through iTunes.

Another feature that the iPhone should have is true GPS Global Positioning integrated with Google Maps - this would be a killer feature!

There needs to be a way to make truly recordable movies with sound... There's nothing quite like talking to your family long distance, placing them on hold (or not), and taking a small movie of your toddler taking his or her first steps and sending the movie via e-mail or syncing with .Mac to your webpage. Would be pretty to have a camera on the same side of the display with granda on a video conference call telling the baby to 'come to grandma' as the toddler takes its first steps towards iPhone and recorded for posterity.

I just hope the rework the glossy finish. A PDA or a phone is a device which is more "prone" to heavy usage and therefor: scratches.

Usually you select your playlist on your iPod and put it away. Even watching movies doesn't require much interaction with the device. But still the latest generation (5) of iPods gets scratched like there is no tomorrow. I remember that just putting mine out and back into the pouch created marks on screen and the frontside. Personally, I treat my electronic devices like raw eggs - but in this regard the iPods are really annoying - hopefully not the iPhone. I don't really want to put a "skin" or a similar protection measures on it.

I think that the iPhone is a quantum leap ahead in personal communication compared to the competition, in many ways, but in other ways it falls short. I think that for personal use it will work well, but for corporate environments, it's not quite there yet. Many corporate environments forbid camera phones and any unauthorized camera.

Well then good luck with the latest Apple notebooks. There isn't one without build-in isight ;)

I was personally surprised that Apple didn't fix the scratching issue with the last revision of iPods. It's just soo annoying, and cause of so much fire in Zune supporters. I know that the iPod is so popular that it doesn't really need to evolve, but it is of course evolving and the scratching issue *****definitely***** needs resolved in a device that's the centerpoint of your life.

yeah, have you seen a well used zune? no scratches but it's filthy. it doesn't scratch, but it picks up dirt instead.

yeah, have you seen a well used zune? no scratches but it's filthy. it doesn't scratch, but it picks up dirt instead.

Which doesn't sound to bad to me. Dirt can be cleaned -
If you are picky: scratches are like minor damage to the device - which can't be repaired.

my 2 year old ipod is no more scratched than my 5 month old phone, and both get equal use. because i take care of my things.

apparently the zune picks up dirt in a very irritating way which is very diificult to clean, it more stains the plastic than actually getting clogged with dirt.

my 2 year old ipod is no more scratched than my 5 month old phone, and both get equal use. because i take care of my things.

apparently the zune picks up dirt in a very irritating way which is very diificult to clean, it more stains the plastic than actually getting clogged with dirt.

Not to follow suit with the guy already kicking the dead horse, but you can *change* the case on the Zune. Hehe. :)

So did the "iphone no compared to zune" title bug anyone or do people here just continue from where they left off in another thread? I do not understand whether you are endorsing the Zune over the iphone or the other way around. Please clarify.

I think the whole point of the iPhone is that it combines an iPod, Personal Digital Assistant, and a Phone. This was stated by Steve Jobs in the keynote. I like the integration of a touch screen, a feature I use everyday at work, because I can push buttons faster than I can write with a stylus. No wonder the keyboard is so popular!

I am sure there are power users out there who do work for large corporations in which their employers are concerned about camera phones. I am also sure there are employees who work out of their home offices or travel across the country and consider the features of the iPhone to be a vast improvement over their current Blackberry PDA/Phone.

The Zune...The Zune...The Zune....The Zune...Hmmmmm
This competes with the iPhone how? It looks more like a competitor for the iPod 5G / iTunes which from the reviews I have read has a better purchasing and sharing system than the Zune.

Back