iPhone Price Drop

And gone's the 4GB model, of course. (They could've still sold some for 349$, but I guess memory is not the main factor driving the price...)

Yesterday the 4GB was on sale at the Apple Store for the clearance price of $299. I imagine refurbished models will trickle in and will probably go for $249.

Steve Jobs just announced a $100 store credit for all early buyers of the 8 gig model!

OH Great! Another slap in the face for me from Apple! I bought two 4gig iPhones on day 1—meaning I get nothing–NADA! Only the 8 gig buyers get a credit.

Steve Jobs just announced a $100 store credit for all early buyers of the 8 gig model!

OH Great! Another slap in the face for me from Apple! I bought two 4gig iPhones on day 1—meaning I get nothing–NADA! Only the 8 gig buyers get a credit.

actually..

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/
Quick, save it as PDF and print it before they change their mind ;)

It's a shame people have had such a sour reaction to the price drop, as it seems to have completely overshadowed what was otherwise pretty spectacular announcements.

I wonder what the brand awareness is for the new iPod line? My guess is not very strong -- all anyone has been talking about in the media is the price drop outrage.

But think about it this way: About one million (rather less) people were "harmed" by the price drop, and now 50% of their "harm" has been taken away. For free. (Although if you look at it objectively, they _wanted_ to buy the device and thought the price was okay for what they were getting at the time of the sale.)
But there are millions _more_ who can now simply buy the iPhone for 200$ less. I think _that's_ the part we have to concentrate on. It's what's important to Apple.

Of course now we'll see the following: Joe Stupid buys a 399$ iPhone now. Thinks he was very clever waiting this long. Then in November, Apple releases the 3G version for 499$, maybe with 16 GB of memory, and he'll cry foul, because he's seen that earlier, foul-criers have gotten a store-credit out of crying foul.

Although it's hard sometimes, we HAVE to accept that in these markets, devices will always become cheaper and better. YES, if you buy your iPhone today, Apple might change pricing/features _tomorrow_. Accept it. Zen, baby.

Back