iPhone unlock :: Europe

Hi Guys...

I've just got the best Birthday present ever... an iPhone!!!;)
Just arrived from NYC, and I'm a European cityzen... what to do to start "Unlocking" things up?
any ideas..?

Just that I feel thrill to plug it to my Mac, but guess that won't be a right move...

one of our more fundamental board rules is no discussion of any kind about anything illegal.

i'm not sure exactly where this stands, but i'm pretty sure it beaches EULA, and so is illegal. sorry....

I understand your concern about 'fundaments', but illegal would it be when "available to the Dutch market, I would try to crack/unlock the machine".
I beg your pardon, and explain you guys that in Europe iPhone just started selling, only in Ge, UK, and I heard that from December on FR too.
I'm not doing anything ilegal... not yet.

In most Europe, they are supposed to sell you the unlock code when you have legally purchased the phone. So if you have a pre-pay or a contract phone, and want to move away from T-Mobile, Orange, Meteor, Vodafone or anything you got it with, they should give you the code. Sometimes they ask you to put some money on the phone to do it for free, sometimes they charge for the code, and sometimes they suggest a store or an unlocker service for it.
So when you have legally bought the phone anywhere, you should be able to use it, as a consumer.

That said... the first iPhone that I actually saw in real life and used was from a Swedish coworker of mine, in France. So he had bought one in San Francisco, unlocked it and used it in Sweden. If I'll catch him online, I'll check what he used for it. Since whether this is legal or not may depend on where you are while reading this or planning to do this for your own phone, if anyone finds out, just in case this might be safest to provide details in private messages. (One place without going too much into detail should be Chinatown ... London or any other, the electronic stores in them)

Thanks Giaguara..!
but in the Netherlands nobody sells 'officially' iPhones, neither in Spain, Belgium, etc. Just in Germany since last week, and I doubt the procedure considers 'unlocked' phones... they would be silly, since they are the ones (T-Mobile) to run the network all over Germany (and most likely in Holland too).
I saw it on the airplane, on the way to Spain, carried by a dutch who claimed has bought it in Malasya... I was surprized that it wasn't a clone... hahahaha!
Anyway, mine it's a Birthday present, fresh from NYC.

The unlocked phones they sell in Germany only work with German carriers, and the "free" phones of France only work in France. There's no way around that at the moment, and the phones now on sale all have version 1.1.2 of the firmware, and can't be "jailbreaked".

You're out of luck I'm afraid, you've just bought an overprized paperweight...

I'd say a good go-back to 1.1.1 should work just fine. Jailbreak that and follow guides to jailbreak 1.1.2.

Huh?
-> 1.1.1
-> jailbreak
-> oktoprep
-> 1.1.2
-> jailbreak
-> anysim or ipsf...

no?

A thread regarding downgrading from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1

http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15272

seems to be a great resource (was linked to in Gizmodo, in case that adds credibility), with many follow up reply posts.

it is possible to do, so don't let elander scare you; It just means it will take more work than if it were 1.1.1 already. Obviously I can give no guarentees because I haven't tried it myself (I am using an unlocked 1.1.1 iPhone in Australia, but it was boughed on eBay pre-hacked).

and anyway, even if it turns out you can't do it, I can guarantee eventually a 1.1.2 jailbreak will come along. so the worst case scenario is that you will have to just stare at the phone for a while. that sounds like torture though!

obviously all this is risky, so the usual warnings apply, but there is a pretty friendly and enthusiastic community out there, so you should get plenty of support.

AS for legalities, I don't see anything illegal about it. There is a specific mention in the DMCA regarding phone unlocking for a start, and frankly....(expletive) apple! I have been sitting here waving my money at apple for the last 6 months and they refuse to take it, so I personally take extra delight in owning an unlocked iPhone.

Great information "thanks the Cheese"
I'm still waiting till the Jaibreak for firmware 1.1.2 is out there... (downgrading doens't feel right, would it be like placing OS8 in an IntelCoreDuo :) in the meantime, I keep reading about all this matters, but frankly... regarding the 'legality' of the procedure, I'm done with this. I can't care less, since in the Netherlands nobody can even tell what's gonna happen/when with iPhones.

I'm still waiting till the Jaibreak for firmware 1.1.2 is out there... (downgrading doens't feel right, would it be like placing OS8 in an IntelCoreDuo :)

keep in mind, though, it's not that big a jump from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2. In fact, Gizmodo described the new features in the 1.1.2 release as:

New features: Foreign language support, including UK English, French, German and Italian. A battery status indicator in iTunes is all you get other than that.

Unless you need one of those languages, there really isn't anything to miss in the update.

Back