iPhone

martijn.s

Registered
hi, i'm new here, i could not find any thread about the iPhone.

new rumors about this phone(s) appear almost every day now:

some rumors i read about:

1 simple phone, and smartphone

3 megapixel Camera

a touch sensitive screen, including a border, allowing to use touch without leaving fingerprints where it's the most annoying.

they are iPods (obviously)

GPS, used for navigation, anti-theft, and to store the location where the photos are taken.

iChat.

good integration with the Mac and iTV, not just synchronization, but the option to mute the sound when receiving a call (and, why not, use the computer as a phone)

They've been saying that for a while now.. it's fun to "what-if"

IMHO, if Apple made an iPhone, they wouldn't tack it onto the very successful iPod.

yes the rumors have been there for a long time, but the patents, the urls, and common sense show that the iPhone is real (soon)

it's so much more important than an iPod, for me, as a user, because i really hate my phones, i liked the startac, but that's almost 10 years, and 1500 dollars ago (yes that's what i paid for it, me=idiot !), but this time it's different, it's serious :)

p.s i have to adapt to this sites syntax.

the iphone.org domain is owned by Apple, and only they have the possibility to redirect it to apple.com, see here., and they did less than 3 weeks ago, not that they need this domain anyway, but it's like a big wink,
wink wink.

for me this is huge, about huge details (yes it sounds silly but it isn't, even when u don't notice it, it mathers), it's about one click less, or one key less, or more, for every basic thing i do with a phone, just like the mac, "the beauty is in the details".

The iPhone rumour has been floating around in one form or another for years.

It is no secret on the Apple campus that R&D have been looking at developing a mobile phone device for ages, however even the most optimistic analysts don't expect it for another 12 months at least - assuming it gets released at all. The technical headaches involved in the project currently make it unappealing for Apple.

Apple have a strict policy of not releasing a product if they think any significant percentage of users are going to have problems with it, and at this stage with the different phone and data networks, media formats, and telecom regulations they're expecting any such product to be fairly troublesome.

The problems with the iPhone are not technical. They are business-related. Apple currently has a close relationship with Motorola, the manufacturer of arguably the coolest phones on the market. The rumors are that the iPhone would be available through Cingular. Within the past few weeks, however, Apple, Motorola, and Cingular brought iTunes to a model of Motorola's RAZR. What do you expect from an Apple-branded phone that is not currently available?

The iPhone rumour has been floating around in one form or another for years.

It is no secret on the Apple campus that R&D have been looking at developing a mobile phone device for ages, however even the most optimistic analysts don't expect it for another 12 months at least - assuming it gets released at all.

i would say, almost all analysts expect the iPhone on januari 7.

apparently i'm not very convincing :D

The problems with the iPhone are not technical. They are business-related. Apple currently has a close relationship with Motorola, the manufacturer of arguably the coolest phones on the market. The rumors are that the iPhone would be available through Cingular. Within the past few weeks, however, Apple, Motorola, and Cingular brought iTunes to a model of Motorola's RAZR. What do you expect from an Apple-branded phone that is not currently available?

Motorola removed iTunes from it's phone last week.

the iTunes application contains a lot of messages that are related to a phone, a phone that can play iPod games...

There are some sites suggesting that the iPhone is not a phone at all, but a technology that will be introduced into new Macs -- ie. VoIP. I think that is more likely than an actual mobile phone for reasons MisterMe points out. It's a very messy market to get into and I don't know Apple is ready, or willing, to jump in.

Even if they were to get things rolling in the USA, what about other countries? Every county has their own mobile carriers and systems in place. It would be very difficult and expensive to penetrate the US market, let alone other countries'.

I agree with symphonix, too -- Steve Jobs hates imperfect solutions, and there are many imperfect things about mobile phones, many of which would be out of Apple's control.

I'll admit the iPhone rumors are based on more evidence than your average Mac rumor, but I'm still yet to see anything that convinces me.

There are some sites suggesting that the iPhone is not a phone at all, but a technology that will be introduced into new Macs -- ie. VoIP. I think that is more likely than an actual mobile phone for reasons MisterMe points out. It's a very messy market to get into and I don't know Apple is ready, or willing, to jump in.

and all the other hints, the domain name, the text in the iTunes resources, the patents ?

Even if they were to get things rolling in the USA, what about other countries? Every county has their own mobile carriers and systems in place. It would be very difficult and expensive to penetrate the US market, let alone other countries'.

that's simply not true, all other countries have GPS and 3G, and unlike in the US, anybody can buy any phone, carriers d'ont have a monopoly, Apple can sell it's phone thru the same channels as the iPods and Macs.

(i live in europe)

i hope i'm right too :) i cant wait !

this is some of the text u can find in iTunes 7 (show package contents in contextual menu, ->content->resources->English.lproj->Localizable.strings

----
Some of the games in your iTunes library, including the game “^0”, were not copied to the mobile phone “^1” because they cannot be played on this mobile phone.
----

this means a phone will play iPod games in the near future (and other phones will not).
to run iPod games a phone has to be an iPod, the motorola isn't.

---
Enabling the mobile phone for disk use requires manually ejecting the mobile phone before each disconnect, even when automatically updating music.
---
Your mobile phone is being updated. If you quit now, your mobile phone update will be canceled. Are you sure you want to quit?
---
A mobile phone can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this mobile phone with the contents of this iTunes library.
---
Would you like iTunes to delete enough photos and albums from the mobile phone to make room for the songs?
---
Waiting for mobile phone…
---
(yes me too :)
---
Are you sure you want to sync TV shows? All existing TV shows on the mobile phone “^1” will be replaced with TV shows from your iTunes library.
---
Click More Info to visit www.info.apple.com&#8212;n301461 <http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n301461> for more information on creating videos compatible with your mobile phone.
---
this last one is pretty convincing, it's an url to a page about the iPod, but the message is about a phone, so there will definitly be a phone ipod combination, and i can't imagine apple allowing anybody else to make iPods.

Apple owns the iPhone.org domain, and have applied for the iPhone trademark.

they added mobile phone support when the E1 ROKR phone came out, along with iTunes 4.9. this is nothing new, and everything with the above is to do with that phone. i wouldn't get your hopes up.

no, the iPod games don't run on the motorola, and i don't think they play video, those strings are new, iTunes 6 did not have them.

read them carefully.

also, motorola has replaced iTunes by realplayer on their new mp3 phone.

and, apple bought the itunesphone.com domain august 12.

Back