iPhoto '05 folders... hierarchical??!!

solrac

Mac Ninja
Is it finally here? What EVERYONE'S been waiting for...

heirerarchical folders in iPhoto! But looking at apple's site, it only seems that (maybe) just one folder level is allowed. (With only albums in the folder, but no SUB folders)

Is this true? Any news? Good / Bad?

Wow, I don't know. If you had asked two days ago, I could have checked it out at Macworld Expo.

solrac said:

heirerarchical folders in iPhoto! But looking at apple's site, it only seems that (maybe) just one folder level is allowed. (With only albums in the folder, but no SUB folders)

Is this true? Any news? Good / Bad?
I don't understand why such folders would be a big deal.

Just adding comments to photos will make them very easy to find and organise via spotlight. Splitting via album would seem to be more than enough.

If anything, nesting something in a folder just guarantees that I'll never see that file again.

Kap

Yes. the perfect example. I want to use iPhoto, amongst other things, to keep a local copy of the Gallery on my website. Now the gallery itself, has a number of "albums" or sections in it. So with folders, I can have a "Quacking Penguins" level, with sub-folders/albums for the various sections: "Funny signs" "Computer stuff" "Animals" etc. I thought this was in '04, then I realised what i'd seen (on apple.com) was iphoto with shared albums..

There's always people on here that ALWAYS discount the need for subfolders. They've been here for years.

Well, SUBFOLDERS ARE CRUCIAL!!

Lack of subfolders is the one reason that I have NEVER used iPhoto, TO THIS DAY. I use the finder to organize my photos.

Here's why:

ƒ Pictures

-- ƒ Family
---- ƒ Christmas 2004
---- ƒ Thanksgiving 2004
---- ƒ Mom
---- ƒ Brother

-- ƒ Friends
---- ƒ John
---- ƒ Joe
---- ƒ Ken
------ ƒ Vegas Trip 04-10-20

This is just an example. Notice under Friends, there is subfolder Ken. Under Ken there is subfolder Vegas Trip.

Now picture HUNDREDS of picture sets, all organized this way by folders. How is this possible to achieve in iPhoto, without subfolders??

The only way is to tag EACH image with metadata. I'd have to find all pictures of Ken, and tag them with "Ken". And all pictures of Vegas trips and tag them with "Vegas Trips". Then I could find all "ken" and "vegas" pictures.

Yes... but how LONG would that take to apply to thousands of photos? And how ACCURATE would it be? That's why folders are the answer. You just drop a BUNCH of pictures into folders and it's done for you instantly.

Perhaps it would work if you are starting from photo #1. But I already have thousands of photos.

I just can't see using a program, where there are 25,000 cluttered unorganized pictures in one big massive window, and the only way to find one is to type in a search phrase. I don't have time to build a database that way. And on top of that, albums sets on the left pane cannot be stored in subfolders. So every album set must be standalone, and eventually you will get a scrollbar that goes on forever.

Imagine using Mail that way!!

solrac said:

Sorry, has anyone answered the main question yet? :confused: I would like to know. IMHO Sub folders are required 100% Most people do not have the time to sit adding a name to EVERY photo you input? Especially if you have a large collection already as earlier posted.

Will_Richo said:
Sorry, has anyone answered the main question yet? :confused: I would like to know. IMHO Sub folders are required 100% Most people do not have the time to sit adding a name to EVERY photo you input? Especially if you have a large collection already as earlier posted.
Not after the fact anyway.

What I'd really love is a digital camera with a thumbpad that let me actually add a text comment to a photo directly after I've taken it (and sync these comments with iPhoto).

Wish the camera companies would forget about their stupid megapixel war and actually add some useful features to camera to differentiate themselves (or that Apple would take on this task and make their own kick ass camera).

Kap

There are digital cameras that can tag shots with voice recordings. If really good speech recognition comes to Tiger just imagine how easy it would be to enter that data into iPhoto. When combined with Spotlight sorting all your pics would be a snap.

andychrist said:
There are digital cameras that can tag shots with voice recordings. If really good speech recognition comes to Tiger just imagine how easy it would be to enter that data into iPhoto. When combined with Spotlight sorting all your pics would be a snap.

holy crap that would be sick. great thoguht anychrist - hope it works out that way.

yeah, I've been wanting subfolders in iPhoto for a couple years.
I don't title and comment my pics as well as I should (usuallyonly the ones that get exported to Gallery get a metadata treatment)
otherwise I just folderize them into 10.2004, 11.2004, etc. I'd much rather have
-october
--halloween
--vacation

-november
--birthday
--thanksgiving

etc
I'm better at filing my 100's/1000's of pictures than individually naming and tagging (though I hope tagging in Tiger is pretty simple & natural, so that Spotlight kicks total butt)

This is not a direct answer to the question, I'd like to hear that too, but it is a helpful little program to batch re name files. R-name gives you lots of options - lets you drag and drop files to the window, then click a button to rename the whole lot.

Doesn't work on files already in iPhoto - but it can put a prefix or rename a whole directory tree.

for those unaware - you can (currently in iPhoto) select multiple pics in iPhot and CTRL click to get a BATCH UPDATE screen - you can mass update titles, comments, etc. pretty handy

You got me nervous solrac. I bought it for this alone. I have been using finder due to the lack of sub folders too. Am very happy about this. This is from apple's site. The word "all" makes me think you can have many sub folders. Not sure about sub-sub folders though.

"Put all your vacation albums in a Vacation folder"

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/organize.html
At the very bottom left.

JML said:
You got me nervous solrac. I bought it for this alone. I have been using finder due to the lack of sub folders too. Am very happy about this. This is from apple's site. The word "all" makes me think you can have many sub folders. Not sure about sub-sub folders though.

"Put all your vacation albums in a Vacation folder"

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/organize.html
At the very bottom left.

The wording on apple's site is not specific, so I just went by the screen shots. And the screen shots have no subfolders. We'll see though... we'll see. The big day will come when iLife '05 comes out... and the final defining answer will be....

File... create new folder.
Yay!!
Put albums into folder
Yay!!
INSIDE an open folder
File... <<create new folder>> -- greyed out
WEEEPPP tears of blood and sorrow

(or not?)

Like I said, I really wish someone had posted this question 2 days earlier, because I would have made it a priority to check it out at the expo.

From Apple's website:
Find Photos in an Instant

And thanks to a new iTunes-like search field, you can search for your photos more easily and find them much more quickly — especially since you can now tag photos as you import them for instant retrieval. You’ll also like iPhoto’s new Calendar View. A click lets you see all the photos you took on a day, week, month or in a range of dates.

Back