iPhoto 1.1.1 doesn't allow direct export to Homepage anymore?

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
I seem to recall that in iPhoto 1.0, you could have iPhoto connect to your iDisk, make a webpage with all the selected pictures, and automatically upload it to your iDisk webpage. When I downloaded 1.1.1, it doesn't seem to have that capability anymore (it's supposed to be on the bottom toolbar under the Share tab, right?).

Can anybody tell me if they have this feature, and where exactly to find it?

Furthermore, could someone tell me if these are the correct items that are supposed to be in the bottom toolbar of iPhoto? Thanks.

Attachments

• iphotoscreensnapz001.jpg
    iphotoscreensnapz001.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 32
There is something defenatly wrong with yours...

On mines, after I click on "Share" I have:

Print, Slide Show, Mail, Order Prints, Order Book, HomePage, Desktop, Screen Saver and Export...

I have no idea how to solve it - but at least I can tell you what you are supposed to have...

Does anyone have the original iPhoto 1.0 installer? That might help me...

Of course it is! Where else would I put it? Somebody just give me the iPhoto 1.0 installer!

i don t have that installer for you. but i just read on versiontracker that you can get this error if iPhoto is in a subdirectory. put it right in the root of the /Applications directory, instead of a subdirectory, and see if that helps.

It IS directly in /Applications.

One thing I noticed is that the three buttons I'm missing (HomePage, Order Books, and Order Prints) are the three that require a service application in the /System/Library/Services folder.

It's probably a permissions problem – can anybody tell me their permissions of these three application packages? You can just use the Finder inspector window, or use the Terminal if you feel more comfortable.

Code:
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel   264 Mar 19 15:20 AppleSpell.service
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   264 May  6 14:42 BookService.app
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   264 May  6 14:42 HomePageService.app
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   264 May  6 14:42 PrintsService.app
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   264 Sep 11  2001 SummaryService.service

I thought I had the original 1.0 installer since I usually save all the downloaded software that I keep (no idea why tho), but I can't find a trace of it... Sorry. :(

Hope the permissions help.

I too had trouble with sharing when I loaded iPhoto 1.1.1 on my new iMac. I was able to resolve this by deleting the iPhoto application from the Application folder and then reinstalling 1.1.1.

I would be interested in knowing if this helps.

BTW 1.1.1 installed on my older iMac just fine. Of course it does not have over 2000 images in a library.

I have done multiple things to try and rectify this problem with nothing working.

I deleted the iPhoto application and reinstalled. I've used Pacifist to make sure it installed the WHOLE package. I used Desinstaller to remove every last trace of iPhoto, and then I reinstalled, to no luck. I even logged in as the root user and installed from there.

Nothing works. I'm hoping that if I find an iPhoto 1.0 installer, and then install iPhoto 1.1.1 on top of that, it should work. Unfortunately, though, I didn't save the installer for some reason (when I usually do), and nobody seems to have it. :(

By the way, those permissions are the same as mine, so apparently it's not a permissions problem.

This is a longish post, but I hope it may shed light on where the icons have gone. Mine have disappeared too, and although they are not yet back, I may have an idea of what is broken.

My icons for export were showing up immediately after the upgrade from iPhoto 1.0 to 1.1.1. I created a couple of Homepage albums on 2 or 3 different iDisks without problems.

I installed iPhoto Mailer Patcher 1.1.1a, again without apparent problem, and emailed pix to others without a hitch. From memory, the icons were present at that time.

However, very soon after, I did SOMETHING (I know not what) which put my iPhoto into the perpetual spinning rainbow cursor and had to Force Quit.

From then on, no export capabilities - the icons were gone, and Export... from the file menu brought up an empty pane with a single unlabelled tab.

I pulled the various export folders out of the plug ins folder within iPhoto, and put them back one at a time. My icons did not show up, but I did find that the Export worked OK if I had the following IN the plug ins folder:

QTExporter.iPhotoExporter
HTMLExporter.iPhotoExporter
FileExporter.iPhotoExporter

The following 3 broke the export function, singly and together:

GraffleExport.iPhotoExporter
BetterHTMLExporter.iPhotoExporter
ToastExport.iPhotoExporter

I re-installed iPhoto, and although export works, the icons for Homepage, order book and order prints were still missing.

Then to iPhoto Help. Tap in "homepage", and one item appears. It starts "If you have a connection to the Web...", and includes the line, "If you are connected to the Web, iPhoto automatically updates the Share paneto show you available internet services."

I guess this means that SOME link between iTools and the Network info has been severed in the Force Quit, and iPhoto "believes" that it is not connected to teh internet, scrubbing the icons and access to these services from the share pane.

The trick may be to know how iPhoto "knows" whether or not the Mac is connected to the internet. I guess it is an iPhoto preference file somewhere, but I'm damned if I can find it.

Any thoughts about this ?mythical? link?
:confused:

Attachments

• iphoto help small.jpg
    iphoto help small.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 5
:eek:

Looks like it is a "permissions" thing. Yuch.

Log in as root user, start iPhoto (put an alias of the iPhoto Library folder in the Pictures folder in the root home directory) and voila - the icons are back in the share pane.

Unfortunately, this does NOT help when logged back in as the usual user, but it is a temporary work around while this gets figured out.

Maybe the

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 264 May 6 14:42 BookService.app
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 264 May 6 14:42 HomePageService.app
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 264 May 6 14:42 PrintsService.app

of Tormente is the place to start, but it is beyond me at present.

Just so you guys all know, I figured it out, with help from a MacFixIt.com forum member.

It was conflicting services that was causing iPhoto to not work with its internet services.

Specifically, if you have WordService (a service), or Text Wielder (an application that when put in the "Applications" folder, provides a service) installed, iPhoto will not display the "HomePage", "Order Book", or "Order Prints" buttons. The latest versions (WordService 2.3 and Text Wielder 1.0b3) still cause problems.

If you are having the same problems, try taking out all applications that provide services and services, and then see if iPhoto displays the buttons. If it does, then try putting services back one by one to see which is conflicting (note that if you hold down the Shift button right after you login, it prevents login items from starting up – very handy when you're doing troubleshooting things like this).

If you want to install iPhoto 1.0, go to www.apple.com and then go to the downloads tab. Then there should be a link that says "older downloads". Click that an you might find iPhoto 1.0 to download.:cool:

Back