iPhoto and photoediting programs

geeperk

Registered
I am a new Mac user and am still getting my head around the change! Is there anyway that you can open Photoshop like you do in windows, by right-clicking your thumbnail in My pictures and selecting the photoediting program you want to edit the picture with. I used 2 programs photoshop and Microsoft Digital Image Suite. I am not that fond of photoshop and preferred Image Suite, it was easier to use. Is there any similar program suitable for MAC that is easier than photoshop and does more than iPhoto can do?

I thought about Aperture, but it's more expensive than Lightroom, so I used the new computer as an excuse to upgrade to LR2. From what I've read, Aperture is a better program for organizing your photos, while Lightroom is better as a raw converter. Neither Aperture or Lightroom does all the things you can do in Photoshop. Hopefully someone who really knows Aperture will step in, but it seemed to me that Aperture would do everything iPhoto would do, and do it much better, but since I've never actually used the program, I don't know that for a fact.

MisterMew:
I am a newly converted Mac User (after having gone thru 5 PC'S) and am truly hoping for a better experience here. I used Photoshope elements and Premier with the PC and had many, many difficulties. You seem to really like the GraphicConverter & program. I need a program which will read the DVD'S with my PC created photo and video files on them - AND to use to create slide shows and videos for my friends and family. Will GraphicsConverter7 fit this bill?

If you have data DVDs, then your Mac should read them. A data DVD is just another volume mounted on the Desktop. Double-click the file that you want to open and it will open in whichever application that you set as the default that that filetype. As for GraphicConverter, it will open and edit just about every raster graphics file there is.

Having said that, DVDs are probably the least reliable storage medium. This is not a filetype issue; it is an issue withe the medium itself. Just because you burned a DVD on one computer doesn't mean that any other computer on Earth can read it. Although it is likely that some other computer can read it, this is certainly not guaranteed. Furthermore, exposure to light--especially sunlight--can convert a burned DVD into a coaster faster than you can say "Jackie Robinson."

There are several failure modes for you not to be able to read PC-burned DVDs on your Mac. What are your specific symptoms?

MisterMe:
I'm going to purchase the Graphics Converter 7 online from "Lemke". The price is marked on one page as 34.95 Euro - and on the same page for (quote) "GraphicConverter 7.x Upgrade from previous version; single license - (Upgrade from version 1.x-6.x or OEM version with proof like copy of invoice) Price: 23,95 EUR" Unquote.
What's up with that? Is the "upgrade" a better deal or do I need both?
Thanks
sayger2

I don't quite understand your question. As with any other software, the "upgrade" price is available to licensees of previous versions of GraphicConverter. Lemkesoft will give you the upgrade price if you can prove that you licensed any previous version of GraphicConverter.

You pay for either the upgrade license or full price for a new license. You do not pay both. If you buy a new license now, then you will be eligible for upgrade pricing of all future versions of GraphicConverter. However, most upgrades of the application are free. Your new license will last for years before your first paid upgrade.

MisterMe:
You have been a tremendous help to me and I appreciate it. I will be purchasing the Graphic Converter tomorrow.
I've been looking at the series of "ILife" videos from Apple and the videos make it seem that their apps for creating DVD's are the best. I seem to remember reading earlier that they were good only for creating very short videos - or slide shows - and that you could add only one piece of music per item. Little confused here. The videos made it seem so simple and thorough I wonder just which it is - simple or thorough??

iDVD uses compatible video from other sources to create and burn DVDs. Your DVDs may run up to two hours. This is a consequence of the 4.7 GB capacity of single-layer blank DVDs. If you create a slideshow, then you can use iDVD to burn it to DVD. However, you may also use it to burn your amateur video to DVD--up to two hours of your amateur video.

MisterMe:
Thanks so much for the info. I've watched the videos about creating slideshows and videos - but nowhere were limitations on time mentioned. I'm glad to know about the two hour thing.
I have been considering buying "Graphic Converter" - now I wonder if I really need it? What do you think. I'm not planning on doing anything "incredible" with my photos and videos, just want to save them for my grandkids in the most enjoyable possible way. It would be nice to make them enjoyable and it looks to me as if IDVD and IMovie might do well enough. Please let me know what you think.
Sam Sayger
Hernando, MS
Christian, Retired builder and USAF Veteran.

MisterMe:
Thanks so much for the info. I've watched the videos about creating slideshows and videos - but nowhere were limitations on time mentioned. I'm glad to know about the two hour thing.
I have been considering buying "Graphic Converter" - now I wonder if I really need it? What do you think. I'm not planning on doing anything "incredible" with my photos and videos, just want to save them for my grandkids in the most enjoyable possible way. It would be nice to make them enjoyable and it looks to me as if IDVD and IMovie might do well enough. Please let me know what you think.
Sam Sayger
Hernando, MS
Christian, Retired builder and USAF Veteran.
Let me begin by saying that a two-hour time limit is not really that much of a limitation. Most theatrical movies are shorter than two hours. Most that are longer are considered to be too long. iDVD and iMovie are more than adequate for most home video applications.

As for GraphicConverter, I am reluctant to tell others how to spend their money. That said, I believe that it is one of those applications that every Mac user should own. It is fully functional without paying the fee. However, Lemkesoft is such a good developer that it deserves our support. GC serves as a fantastic file converter. It is also a poor man's Photoshop. It even accepts Photoshop plug-ins.

Having said that, iPhoto is also a decent photo editor. My retired former professor used iPhoto to remove the eyeglasses from the subject of his photographs.

MisterMe: Is it necessary to have AV on this Mac? I had been given to understand that there was no need of AV and now I'm reading articles which indicate I should. Then, I wonder if it is just folks who want to sell AV??
In a quandary here - plus I'm wondering about things like "Tech Tool Pro"??
Whattaya think?
Sam

Antivirus utilities for the Mac serves exactly one purpose. It disinfects files that you receive from Windows files and prevents your passing the infections on to other Windows users. A Mac antivirus utility cannot protect you from MacOS X viruses because there aren't any. Installing this type of software is an act of good citizenship, not self-preservation. Strictly speaking, AV is optional for Mac users and, thus, not necessary.

As for maintenance software like TechTool Pro, it is also optional. This software's lesser sibling, TechTool Deluxe is included with AppleCare. However, I have never found anything on MacOS X that is more effective than File System Check (fsck -fy) run from the command line in Single User Mode.

Commercial maintenance software for MacOS X is a waste of money. Routine maintenance of MacOS X is a waste of time. Left alone, the OS pretty much takes care of itself.

Back