iPhoto, and the rumored Apple-Adobe rift

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
You know what I find amusing? All of those rumors that there was a rift forming between Apple and Adobe. Thinksecret.com, a couple of other rumor sites, and even appleturns.com all picked up on it. And they all cited iPhoto at the center of this rift.

I laughed my head off when iPhoto was introduced on Monday and didn't have a DAMN thing to do with either Adobe PhotoDeluxe or Adobe Photoshop (OK, I just chuckled. Sosumi.) It didn't have that much to do with editing files -- just removing redeye and cropping w/ or w/o constraints -- as much with cataloging, saving, and sharing (what did Steve Jobs say? "Save, organize, share", right?).

I think the rift between Apple and Adobe is centered on the fact that Adobe has been sooooo slow in porting Photoshop, even though I'm sure it's a big job to port and I don't blame them. It's just that all of Apple's products are now on OS X, including Final Cut Pro, and Adobe still has to port its flagship app, and Apple is still annoyed that it hasn't even announced an official ship date, just a rough estimate. I would be surprised if there was a "professional iPhoto" that was creating the rift, infringing on Adobe's traditional ground. Heck, I don't even see the market for a "professional iPhoto". Do any of you?

Just a thought.

I agree totally- although I wonder if the case might be to scratch that/reverse it. It's interesting to wonder if iPhoto wasn't scaled back to appease Adobe to speed up their Photoshop endeavors... but then that just seems a little excessive, at least in my relatively altruistic view of corporate relations.

actually out on the expo floor today i ran across at least photoshop competitors (small companies) that both had osx versions. the one that looked the best said the biggest difference between them and PS was that theirs doesn't do layers. which for me wouldn't make a bit of difference. :cool:

A 7.0 version of Photoshop that is Carbonized would be well worth the wait for Apple. There is no rift, just the waiting which would be there even if there was no Mac OS X.

Photoshop 7 is GREAT! At least the beta!

Seriously, I can understand why companies hesitate to completely shift to OS X. They wanted to see how it turns out, how fast it could become the "main" OS. Who wants to port for an OS which is far away from beeing used by pros? Companies invest HUGE amount of moneys in software development, so they have to be sure the software is bought. What if PS 7 would be OS X only? I could imagine some people who would have bought PS 6 would stay with PS 6 because they have to use other classic only Apps (maybe Flash). It's a critical point for the success of OS X. Not that I doubt it will be successful, no, the fact is WHEN it will be successful. Still, I can't understand for example why Macromedia is not showing any products! What are they waiting for? Take a look at how many people are willing to switch from Dreamweaver to GoLive (which is better IMHO) because it is available for OS X! I even thought about getting LiveMotion to do the stuff where I don't need Flash 5 script commands under OS X so I don't have to boot back into OS 9 to use Flash (it's damn slow under classic environment in OS X).
Anybody knows anything WHY Macromedia is so slow?

Back