iPhoto - Backing up photos in Library

pearham

Registered
I would like to know how to backup my Library of photos in iPhoto. I have over 1000 photos in the library and want to back them up on a DVD but can't figure out how to do it. My version of iPhoto is Version 5.0.4. My computer is a Imac PowerPC G5 running 0SX 10.4.11 and I have a Superdrive.

If you just want them in a way that only iPhoto can read -- truly a "backup", just select the photos you want to backup and use the "burn" button in iPhoto. These will not be able to be read by other programs nor PC's, but are a good backup for your own computer.

If you want to copy them to a DVD and perhaps let others use them, then select the photos you want, export them to a folder on your desktop, and then using Toast or disk utility or such burn them to a DVD. I believe if you insert a DVD, once it shows on your desktop you can drag the folder with the photos to it and it should burn just fine.

You can also back up iPhoto's monolithic database, located at ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library.

Backing up that file would back up all photos, all albums and any other information you have attached to the photos in iPhoto.

Back