iphoto not loading pictures properly

Ts17

Registered
Certain photos in my iphoto library cannot load. When I attempt to enlarge, move or edit these photos a grey screen with a large "!" appears. What is wrong? Can I fix this and save the affected photos?

The image you see in your iPhoto Library is really an alias and in this case the original has been moved or accidentally deleted since it was imported into iPhoto.

Try Control/Right-Clicking on the image and choose either "Show Original File" or "Show File" whichever is clickable. You never know you might just find the original.

Do you have iPhoto manage your pictures so that when you add an image or a group of images to iPhoto, they are stored in your Pictures ~> iPhoto Library? Or do you sort/store all your digital images in your own hierarchy of folders? I think it's safer to have "Copy items to the iPhoto Library" ticked in iPhoto ~> Preferences ~> Advanced ~> Importing.

Another thing you could try is if you can recall the name of the original file you could try a Spotlight search for it ... hopefully you renamed the file from the generic name.

Last edited:
Back