iPhoto quirks!?

aishafenton

Most remote member
I have been playing around with iPhoto all day :D

It is all SJ said it would be, so hurrah for Apple! But has anyone noticed the following little quirks? (Might just be my computer of course).

* The window resizing is really really slow. It makes OmniWeb's resizing of a busy webpage look blindingly fast. Even if you don't have any pics open... it just takes for ever to resize that window :confused:

* No services menu??? why??? shouldn't Apple be promoting this great feature of OSX?

* Close button quits entire app (Which I don't mind)

* X/Min/Max buttons when unfocused have a different color to the iTunes and Quicktime unfocused X/Min/Max buttons - even though they share the brushed metal look.

So nothing major.. just thought I'd sit down and write all about them. But the window resizing thing is a drag (sigh - i shouldn't try to be funny).

But there are of course many nice little touches too. Such as multiply undo's for edits... small things like that make it really good to use.

What does everyone else think?
<br><br>

Agreed. I'm really bugged by the resize slowness; it feels like we're moving backwards. Although I noticed that if I drop the resolution (I normally run at 1600x1200, but tried 800x600), performance is noticably better. That's, of course, not a good solution.

It was also because of res-switching that I came across another issue. iPhoto got really confused about screen coordinates, and ended up displaying most of its window offscreen. Only about a 2cm corner was showing at the upper right of the screen. However, unlike iTunes, I couldn't just grab the corner and move the window back down, nor would it reset window positioning with a restart of the app. This is very ugly. I recall that most windows would not even allow themselves to be placed partially off-screen, and now this. The only way I could fix it was to go to /Users/Me/Library/Preferences and trash the .plist for iPhoto. Hardly optimal.

I've also been unable to get it to configure the one-click ordering. I've some shots that would be so cool to have prints. Although I can take the files to the local Wolf camera, part of the whole point is to be able to do this within iPhoto. Has anyone got this to work yet?

I've got thousands of images that belong in iPhoto, but it seems to refuse to put the images outside the /Users/Me/Pictures folder. Am I missing something here? iTunes will let me do this. I'd really like to put this kind of stuff on my external FW drive so that as I upgrade machines (G5??) I can just move the drive and keep going...

I don't remember these kinds of problems with iTunes 1.0. I'm hoping that we'll see fixes for this kind of stuff soon...

Otherwise, I really like iPhoto. It's a great concept, and will just get better beyond 1.0...

Back