iphoto slideshow to idvd- quality & burning issues

ValVal

Registered
I've made a few slideshows in iphoto due to the Ken Burns effect and also the ability to choose full screen or widescreen. I made DVDs for friends with full and myself with wide for my widescreen- and that works fine.

My 1st question is about the quality of the movies. Obviously a substantial loss of quality from viewing the show in iPhoto on my Powerbook...
Is there a better way to do this with better results? Using iMovie? (Never have used that app before..) Each show has 100-250 slides and I choose a music playlist from iTunes. I am a quality freak and looking the uncrisp images isn't too thrilling.
(Even when playing the disk image in the DVD Player on my Powerbook and comparing with the original project file- it's a little more fuzzy.)

Also, I just got an external Lacie burner (I have combo drive) and have much unsuccess with burning. I have repaired permissions and create as a disk image in iDVD. It plays back great from the disk image in DVD Player on Powerbook. This specific movie is 2.4 GB and I have 10.1 free dis space.

Problems: (tried with 2 or 3 different movies)
*Disk Utility will not burn the image. It begins and then stops and says there are errors (not specific)...
*iDVD goes through 4 or 5 steps and right at the end says "Errors during burning"
(I was also getting a multiplexing error, but I freed up some space and didn't get that last time)
*TOAST- Using the DVD-Video from Video-TS (as recommended on various boards) does not work. It finishes but won't verify and nothing plays...
*TOAST- using DVD-Video: The menu made in iDVD isn't functional. Can't choose different slideshows... Won't highlight, etc...
*TOAST- using "Data" DVD-ROM (UDF):
THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT HAS WORKED AND PROJECTS ARE ABLE TO BE VERIFIED. MENUS ARE FUNCTIONAL IN MY 2 DVD PLAYERS...

I have the newest versions of Toast and iPhoto and iDVD. It's been very frustrating. Can't figure out why iDVD and Disk Utility won't burn... and TOAST only works using "Data" instead of Video... My Powerbook is a 60 GB 12" G4 1.33 model. I'm so tempted to upgrade to a bigger hard drive and a Superdrive but I don't know if that will help anything.

Thanks for listening!

Back