iPod 5.5Gen Software Issue?

blue gekko

I *heart* Mac
Okay, I've had this iPod for 18 months and about 6 months ago I noticed a major problem. My iPod's hard drive first reset itself after the first 6 months. I reformatted it and all was well for another few months. However, ever since I the second time I reformatted it, the iPod seems to just delete songs.
For example, some of the issues I've had:
-Artists from I-Z were deleted from the iPod hard drive.
-All songs were deleted completely
Currently, my iPod will reformat itself every time I plug it into my computer. I have a 3 year old 5Gen iPod which works perfectly well with my computer and iPod cable. There is nothing that I can think of that is preventing the 5.5Gen iPod from accepting music.

Anyway, the first time I reformatted the iPod, it gave me a message that read something like:
"Your iPod is corrupted, please plug it into your computer and reformat it"
Again, that's not exactly what it says, but it's something along those lines.

So I came to you guys in hope of a solution to fix my problem. I have reset it multiple times but nothing changes, it works for a bit then deletes everything suddenly. I'd prefer to fix this manually rather than send it back to Apple as that will cost too much. I hope I have provided you with sufficient information.

Thank you in advance!!
And have a Merry Christmas :)

It sounds like the harddrive is done for. I'm not sure about the 5.5G iPods, but you might be able to find a harddrive somewhere for replacing. It's a drag to take the iPod apart, but it sure sounds as if your iPod won't work correctly unless you do. There is, of course, also the possibility to sell the thing on ebay (with a notice about the harddrive problem) and get a new one.

Back