ipod and electrical adapter/converter?

menau

Registered
I live in the U.S. but am moving to Europe for a year and a half. I would like to take my ipod mini with me. Will I be able to charge my ipod by plugging it into an electrical outlet or will I have to use a usb port only. I know that I will have to use an electrical adapter at the very least, but will i need to use my converter as well and is it safe to use it? I don't want to fry my ipod. Thanks in advance.

the best thing may to be to visit an apple store when you get there buy an europe ipod power brick. they do sell ipods there, and they are the same, only the power brick is different. apple does also sell an ipod power adaptor kit for traveling.

Hi. I'm in the UK. If you already have a wall charger for your iPod, get a mains travel adaptor. I currently run a US wall charger with a UK mains adaptor. All things iPod are very expensive here.

I've been living in France for the last year and a half. I bought my ipod and a bose speaker hub in the u.s. beforehand. I bought the travel adapter kit for my powerbook G4. When you plug it in however it causes a spark but then works fine. I use a generic adapter for the bose speaker which works fine and charges the ipod.

Just returned from two weeks in Europe and used my standard wall charger and a physical two-prong adapter (maybe $2) without fail or problem.

Nearly all modern electric equipment is able to utilize 110-240 voltage, 50-60hz. Just double check on the device itself...if you see an appropriate "range", you are safe--you just need a way to physically "adapt" the prongs to your host nation.

If you don't see a range (ex. 110v, 60hz), beware!

lbj said:
Just returned from two weeks in Europe and used my standard wall charger and a physical two-prong adapter (maybe $2) without fail or problem.

Spent 3 weeks in Germany during the World Cup... used a Camera Adapter to dump photos onto my iPod from my camera, so frequent charges were a must. The apple USB/wall charger with standard N. American plug is universal, i.e. it switches between 240/120 automatically. Don't waste money on a fancy converter: I spent 40 dollars on one, but never used it. The $2.99 I spent on an adapter at the local mall worked perfectly!

Back