iPod as a hard drive for a Treo

Ceroc Addict

Registered
I'm curious about something.

• The iPod can't play video, but can act as a hard drive for a computer
  • The Treo can play video, but doesn't have enough storage capacity to be useful for this
  • You'd want the battery life for either device to be greater if you wanted to use it for video

So what's to stop the Treo (and other phones) from using an iPod as a hard drive? - taking advantage of the iPod's storage capacity and sharing the load on the battery (i.e. phone takes the hit for the display and iPod takes the hit for spinning the drive)

Kap

I guess there really isn't any need for things like that yet. Money is also an issue.

Veljo said:
I guess there really isn't any need for things like that yet. Money is also an issue.
:confused:

Mobile phones which play video and iPods already exist. When you say "money is also an issue" - what's the point of phones that play video, but don't have the storage space to be useful for video?

Surely a connection between phone and iPod opens up the marketing possibilities (esp. from the phone makers perspective, given the iPod's increasing popularity).

I'm just curious about what the tecnological barriers are.

Kap

I imagine what is stopping them is Apple's patents on the interface and maybe because the iPod is a music player not a video player or camera. Toshiba might be willing to supply hard drives to Mobile phone companies but then it would cut their profit margin.

Think about this. Would you make money releasing a Nokia HD 2004 and waiting six months for the next release or keeping your existing line with releases of different kinds of phones and capabilities every other month.

Besides, people do not exactly keep their phones in the best shape and often misplace it. An $300 iPod makes more sense to me than a $300 Nokia Phone.

ApeintheShell said:
I imagine what is stopping them is Apple's patents on the interface and maybe because the iPod is a music player not a video player or camera. Toshiba might be willing to supply hard drives to Mobile phone companies but then it would cut their profit margin.

Think about this. Would you make money releasing a Nokia HD 2004 and waiting six months for the next release or keeping your existing line with releases of different kinds of phones and capabilities every other month.

Besides, people do not exactly keep their phones in the best shape and often misplace it. An $300 iPod makes more sense to me than a $300 Nokia Phone.
I'm not talking about copying the iPod's user interface or putting a hard drive into a phone.

I'm saying have a wire connecting the iPod to your phone (or rather, put a firewire/usb port on the phone and just use the wire that already exists).

The iPod doesn't have to have video playing capability at all. I'm talking about using it as an external hard drive, so that the phone can play the video.

I don't think Apple could do anything about the iPod being used this way. The iPod is a hard drive. The phone manufacturers just need a port and the drivers.

Mobile phone companies who do this win, because they're adding a cool feature to their phone (connection to a hard drive), enabling their users to actually use their phone's video playing capabilities and tapping into the large group of iPod owners (esp. gadget junkies).

Apple wins because people have a whole new reason to want an iPod.

Kap

P.S. If Apple did a little work on their side, they could come up with a significantly bigger win - users could use their phones (e.g Treo) to enter information and sync it to their iPods on the go - contacts, text notes, video (i.e. phones that have video recording capability can store this video on the iPod), etc.

I think from apples keep it simple marketing perspective it wouldn't be entirely feasible but in terms of tech. barriers there aren't really any, the iPod is a slave HD, software just needs to be written for these devices to read ext. HDs not to mention that they would have to integrate FireWire into the phones = $. Bottom line is that the iPod is primarily a music player and if apple is smart and wants to continue to cash in on the iPod success they'll keep it that way. Thats not to say that the phone companies won't want a piece of apples success and they may try to cash in on your idea but I doubt apple will.

WeeZer51402 said:
not to mention that they would have to integrate FireWire into the phones = $.
I've been thinking about the connection issue a little more.

What about the connection methods that already exist on the phones?

i.e. Have a wire which has a iPod dock connector on one end and on the other end:

a) A phone dock connector (depending on the phone)

OR

b) An adaptor for the phone's card slot (memory stick, compact flash, etc)

I think b) would be a relatively trivial method - the phone's card slot is already designed for making external information available to the phone.

Just need a wire with the relevant connectors.

Any thoughts?

Kap

Ceroc Addict said:
a) A phone dock connector (depending on the phone)

OR

b) An adaptor for the phone's card slot (memory stick, compact flash, etc)

A wire with relevant connections isn't going to 'just' work. If you had a phone dock connector to connect to the iPod, who is going to make that? And more importantly, who is going to make the iPod look like the dock of the phone? The last question is far more important, since someone needs to write drivers for the phone to read the iPod as if it were the dock.

An adaptor for the phone's card slot is going to suffer from the same problems. Memory sticks/CF/SD cards work because the phone is expecting them. Converting that interface to FW400/800 isn't a trivial matter since the speeds are different and that brings up another issue.

Transfering data between devices requires synchronization. The iPod supports Firewire and USB. These devices operate at a specific speed and rely on an internal clock to synchronize data transfer between devices. This requires both devices to know what clock rate is being used and to synchronize to that clock rate.

Apple could add that functionality to the iPod, but that would kill off the KISS principle which is what has made the iPod successful. The easiest and best thing to do would be to have mobile phone companies come up with firewire ports on the phones themselves and add the ability to the phones to read from a slave drive.

Viro said:
A wire with relevant connections isn't going to 'just' work.
I'm aware of that. I'm just tossing out ideas on the forum to get feedback on how difficult (expensive, time consuming, etc) the task would be to make it work.

Viro said:
An adaptor for the phone's card slot is going to suffer from the same problems. Memory sticks/CF/SD cards work because the phone is expecting them.

Converting that interface to FW400/800 isn't a trivial matter since the speeds are different and that brings up another issue.
You can use a PC card to add Firewire and/or USB ports to a Powerbook. Why isn't this the same thing?

Viro said:
Transfering data between devices requires synchronization. The iPod supports Firewire and USB. These devices operate at a specific speed and rely on an internal clock to synchronize data transfer between devices. This requires both devices to know what clock rate is being used and to synchronize to that clock rate.

Apple could add that functionality to the iPod, but that would kill off the KISS principle which is what has made the iPod successful.
Why? Sure the devices themselves would need this information, but it would be hidden from the user. So how does this complicate the iPod's user interface?

Viro said:
The easiest and best thing to do would be to have mobile phone companies come up with firewire ports on the phones themselves and add the ability to the phones to read from a slave drive.
Agreed. Any thoughts on why they haven't already done so?

Kap

P.S. What about 802.11g? If Apple added this to the iPod, what would stop 802.11g enabled phones from using the iPod as a storage medium for video?

Ahhhhh..... iPod=Music Player!!! If the phone companies want to use it for something else its UP TO THEM!!! While it may be a good idea I don't think its apples responsibility nor do I think apple would ever market something like that. VideoPlayer Phone + iPod = To Complicated

I agree with Weezer: this ain't Apple's problem... if the phone companies wanted to do this, there's nothing stopping them. The iPod uses a standard FireWire connection, just like any other FireWire-based external hard drive.

Plenty of companies make devices for the iPod without Apple intervention... Belkin, Bose, Griffin Tech, the list goes on. This is something that the cell phone companies themselves would have to tackle, not Apple. The idea is there -- for Apple to start making adaptors for every single cell phone would be silly -- each cell phone company would have to make their own adaptor.

Good idea, but we're barking up the wrong tree if we want Apple to do anything about it.

Ceroc Addict said:
You can use a PC card to add Firewire and/or USB ports to a Powerbook. Why isn't this the same thing?

Because Powerbooks and notebooks (and PDAs) in general run large OSes that include the drivers to support the devices. Adding that to the phone would require additional drivers to be written for the device, something that could be quite difficult, given the constraints placed on phones since they come under the realm of embedded devices.

Why? Sure the devices themselves would need this information, but it would be hidden from the user. So how does this complicate the iPod's user interface?

Perhaps not to the interface since it would add one or two options, but where do you think all this added functionality is gonna go? It will require additional chips and circuitry and that will bulk up the iPod since it is already pretty much jam packed.

P.S. What about 802.11g? If Apple added this to the iPod, what would stop 802.11g enabled phones from using the iPod as a storage medium for video?

Nothing, apart from the added circuitry that would bulk up the iPod as has already been mentioned.

This doesnt mean that they can't be added in the future when components are shrinked.

Well, in his example, read "PDA" instead of phone, as the Treo is very much a PDA first (it's a palmpilot), and phone second (as opposed to most "Smartphones", which are phones first). Assume that it's intended to be a mini-computer, with memory expansion, connectivity to external devices, etc.

It's not unreasonable to think that Palm (or some third party) might think that a large enough percentage of owners have both products, and come up with a device that will allow the iPod to be used as external storage. It wouldn't be as simple as throwing some wires in some shielding and bam, there's your cable, but it wouldn't be extremely difficult, either.

Woohooo! 1000th post.

Congrats on the 1000th. I agree that it wouldnt be hard but no one has stopped to analyze the cost associated with it. Assuming that it would require a FW connection the phone companies would need to spend money on R&D and then spend money not only to implement it and market it. Lets face it if there isn't a really big buying demographic for this the phone companies are gonna loose money. One would assume that by adding the FW interface it would raise the costs of phones and who wants to spen anymore money than they have to? I know I don't. Even if there are a bunch of people out there with iPods and Smart Phones who says that even 50% of them want to play video on there smartphones with there iPods. Obviously this would require some research by the phone companies but as of now it wouldn't seem terribly cost-effective.

No need for FW, could be done using USB-2. I'm pretty sure there's no current PDA out there that supports external 'flash' media using USB-2 connections, but it certainly could be done.

And to those who say 'no need' or 'who would pay'... This is not about a vPod. ;-) Basically, if some PDA/smartphone maker gives their PDA/smartphone a 'real' USB-2 connector with profiles/drivers for external media, the thread starter's idea has come true.

WeeZer51402 said:
Ahhhhh..... iPod=Music Player!!!
I've heard this a few times and it's a silly objection, for several of reasons:
  • There's nothing in my suggestion that would change the iPod from being a music player (or even necessarily add anything to the iPod's user interface).

• The iPod itself already does other things besides being a music player - it stores contact details, signals reminders, works as a hard drive and plays (boring) games. With accessories it also stores digital photos, does voice recording and even acts as a laser pointer.

None of these things are diverting people's attention away from the fact that the iPod plays music.

• The iPod can't stay locked into just playing music forever. It's eventually going to lose ground in the next few years to the competitors that do more. Apple realises this and that's why it works with accessory manufacturers. Working with phone companies is just a natural step.

WeeZer51402 said:
If the phone companies want to use it for something else its UP TO THEM!!!
I agree, but it's also in Apple's best interest to have some say in making sure that it's done properly (and use the iPod's popularity to forge business alliances and make it even more popular (and useful)).

WeeZer51402 said:
While it may be a good idea I don't think its apples responsibility nor do I think apple would ever market something like that. VideoPlayer Phone + iPod = To Complicated
I don't think Apple should market the iPod this way either. The phone companies will do that job for them.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Plenty of companies make devices for the iPod without Apple intervention... Belkin, Bose, Griffin Tech, the list goes on.
?

These companies do work with Apple's "intervention". Apple added the firmware updates to enable photo transfer + integration with iPhoto, recording of voice memos, integration of the iPod to cars, etc. etc..

It's in Apple's best interests to work with companies who want to broaden the appeal of the iPod.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
This is something that the cell phone companies themselves would have to tackle, not Apple. The idea is there -- for Apple to start making adaptors for every single cell phone would be silly -- each cell phone company would have to make their own adaptor.
I agree that the major part of the work (adding the port, etc.) should be done by the phone companies. I don't think there should be multiple adaptors at all - I think phone companies should add a firewire or usb2.0 port.

Viro said:
Because Powerbooks and notebooks (and PDAs) in general run large OSes that include the drivers to support the devices. Adding that to the phone would require additional drivers to be written for the device, something that could be quite difficult, given the constraints placed on phones since they come under the realm of embedded devices.
I don't know how big a driver generally is, but surely it isn't that big (i.e. it wouldn't require an entire OS to run). We're just talking about connecting a phone to one device (the iPod).

I'm not sure what you mean by "given the constraints placed on phones since they come under the realm of embedded devices". Please elaborate.

Viro said:
Perhaps not to the interface since it would add one or two options, but where do you think all this added functionality is gonna go? It will require additional chips and circuitry and that will bulk up the iPod since it is already pretty much jam packed.
?

The iPod already functions as an external hard drive. Why would any additional chips/circuitry be required? The only thing I've mentioned that would require an additional chip would be adding 802.11g to the iPod.

Ripcord said:
Well, in his example, read "PDA" instead of phone, as the Treo is very much a PDA first (it's a palmpilot), and phone second (as opposed to most "Smartphones", which are phones first). Assume that it's intended to be a mini-computer, with memory expansion, connectivity to external devices, etc.
Interesting. I hadn't actually thought PDA, but you're right - it's the same thing (in terms of using an iPod as an external drive).

I think the phone's the focal point though, since phone's are already taking over the functions of the PDA (or PDAs are adding phone/wireless functionality).

Basically, I think people would love to carry around one gadget that does everything (esp. phone, organiser functions and music). However, miniaturisation and battery technology are still not quite at the point they need to be at (the Treo comes closest, but needs additional storage space, whilst simultaneously cutting down on bulk and weight).

WeeZer51402 said:
Congrats on the 1000th. I agree that it wouldnt be hard but no one has stopped to analyze the cost associated with it. Assuming that it would require a FW connection the phone companies would need to spend money on R&D and then spend money not only to implement it and market it. Lets face it if there isn't a really big buying demographic for this the phone companies are gonna loose money.
The phone companies need to spend money on R&D all the time just to stay in business and there are no sure bets. However, usb2.0 is a standard (I think companies should add a usb2.0 port, rather than firewire - it gives them more options) and the iPod is one of the hottest gadgets around today (esp. with the main target market of phone companies).

Adding a usb2.0 port (+ "iPod as a hard drive" functionality) would seem to be a very sensible choice (more so than most of the other things that phone companies add to phones in order to differientiate themselves from the competition).

This is especially true in one respect - lots of phone ALREADY HAVE video playing functionality which is almost WORTHLESS, because they don't have the storage capacity to take advantage of it.

WeeZer51402 said:
One would assume that by adding the FW interface it would raise the costs of phones and who wants to spen anymore money than they have to? I know I don't.
Depends on what I'm getting for the extra cost. Being able to play video on the go would be worth quite a bit to me.

No-one's saying "put a usb2.0 port into every phone" - people will always have the option of a cheap phone if they want one.

WeeZer51402 said:
Even if there are a bunch of people out there with iPods and Smart Phones who says that even 50% of them want to play video on there smartphones with there iPods. Obviously this would require some research by the phone companies but as of now it wouldn't seem terribly cost-effective.
I think that the market for people who want to play video on the go is a lot bigger than we can see at the moment (and there's a significant potential for it to be grown in the long term).

The reality (as I see it) is that there is currently NO DEVICE with video that properly addresses the market and that's why the market seems smaller than (I think) it is.

People want to carry around one device (at most two) with them at all times and the principle functionality they want is the phone.

This is why I think the current devices with a hard disk + direct video functionality (Archos, etc) haven't had a bigger demand - no phone functionality.

At the same time, video hasn't been a big selling point of phones because phones don't have nearly enough storage space.

Who would have thought a few years ago that the demand for a music player with a hard drive (and great usability) would be so large?

i.e. Demand is a very tricky thing to second guess.

Kap

Back