iPod battery lasts about an hour!

theCaptain

Member that enjoys Meece
What is going on, I have had this iPod for about 5 months and slowly the battery has begun holding full charges less and less. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Can I take my iPod to the Apple store and get it either replaced or fixed under the Apple limited one year warrenty?

i'd go to the apple store, they have to cover that under warrenty if you did nothing to harm the battery. Go, i'm sure they will fix it for you.

"Enjoy 10 hours of continuous playtime on a single charge of the lithium polymer battery."
~from the ipod page

As the title says, I have exactly the same problem. After about an hour the battery goes from almost fully charged to dead in an instant. The reason it starts at 'almost' fully charged is because it wont go all the way any more.

Incidentally. Does anyone use their iPod whilst flying? Whenever I go near an airport with my iPod it crashes. A little bit nerve wracking when turning it on to go through security.

Time to prepare myself for a helpdesk call.

DC

It looks as if these lithium polymer batteries suffer the same fate as the original LiOH (lithium ion) batteries. They are known to lose charge if they are not completely drained before you try to charge them again. In reading a page from powerpulse.net (http://www.powerpulse.net/powerpulse/archive/aa_080601a1.stm) it shows that a typical Lithium polymer battery is only good for around 1000 power cycles and is unsuited for use in the ipod.

The internal resistance is too high and cannot deliver the current bursts needed for modern communication devices and spinning up the hard drives of mobile computing equipment, although heating the cell to 60 degrees C (140 degrees F) and higher increases the conductivity to acceptable levels. This requirement, however, is unsuitable for portable applications.

Well I took my iPod in and told them what the problem was and they gave me a brand new one! I was soooooooo happy to get it. Im not going to jump the gun on charging it this time. I will wait till the battery drains before I recharge.
God Apple is Amazing, where else will they replace your old unit with a brand new one at no cost to you!

Heres a question. I bought a brand new 5gb ipod on ebay. The one with the 1 year warrenty. So if something goes wrong can i take it to a apple store or do i have to call in for support since i have no reciet.

If the iPod is registered on Apple's Database under your name, then you dont need any papers or anything. They pulled up my file on the computer for verification that the iPod was mine. Other than that you shouldnt need any receipts or anything like that.

i have my ipod about nine months now, well it's my second ipod in fact. i returned my first after three months (the end of my warranty), also because of the battery problem. although i'm pretty sure i tried to limit the recharging of my second ipod, i'm having the same problem again. i always have my ipod with me. and thus i don't always have the possibility to wait until my battery is empty, or to fully charge it at once. but most of the times i do.

i also noticed that it goes up and down in periods. there's even been a period where my ipod couldn't play without charger at all. i fully charged it, plugged it out and started it playing, and about a minute later, or even less, the battery was empty.

at the time of speaking, my battery lasts pretty long, when i leave him playing. but when i leave him paused (you know he falls in a kind of sleep after a few minutes, he remembers which song he is playing), and some time later i want him to continue, suddenly the battery is empty. could that be by leaving him paused instead of off, or is it just coincidence.

well, i don't have any warrenty left to get a new one, nor the money to buy another one, and i'm still very happy with it. it's a great piece of hardware....

DarkGenius
Student

The warrenty on the iPod is one year which means that anyone can get theirs replaced because it hasent been 12 months yet since the iPod was first released. So if your having a problem take It in and they should solve it for you!

DazedAndConfuse - I use my iPod when flying twice a week and have no problem with it. I put it through the scanners as well and listen to music on the plane.

R.

Unfortunately all iPods do not have a 1 year warranty. The early ones came with a 90 day warranty. Currently Apple are telling me that it is my tough beans, and that I would need to pay for a repair. I'm not happy about this, but I am pretty sure that if I am prepared to spend long enough on the phone I will get to speak to someone who can make a decision. After all, if you trawl the news groups it becomes apparent that this is a very common problem.

When it comes to the iPod and airports I have an update. It is nothing to do with airports. My iPod just continously crashes. I just happened to only be using it when flying. It seems that the act of turning it off, or leaving it to turn itself of runs about a 20% chance of not coming back on without a menu-play restart. Additionally it runs about a 50% chance of draining the battery completely.

Time to brace myself for another long call to Apple.

DC

I could have sworn that I heard Steve Jobs say in a keynote once, that all iPods, even the ones sold with a 90 day warranty at the time, would have their warranties extended to a full year.

Everything is good. A pre-paid shipping box is on its way. I don't know why the system said that I was out of warranty before, but now it believes differently.

I'm now a happy Apple consumer once again.

DC

My friend is now on his third ipod. First the scroll wheel broke. Then the power connector failed and he couldn't recharge or turn it on. Now the battery is acting up. He's (we've) tried all the suggestions from the apple support page but none seem to work. I'm actually kinda disappointed that there have been so many problems with it for him. You see he's a convert. Switched him myself last fall. He's extremely frustrated with how much crap the ipod has given him though. This third one is still under warrently though so maybe he'll get one that won't bust on him.

Anyone have a link, proof, or more info on the year warranty??

I always read it to be a 90-day (at least for my orig 5gig).

Back