iPod battery misbehaving

snazz

Registered
hey guys

ive had the original 5 gig model for a year and a half now, for the past week the battery (i think) has been acting up. I will charge the iPod overnight and when i unplug and attempt to play a song, it immediately says the battery has no power and shuts off. i can then spend another few hours letting it charge to full, then when i try to play, the same thing happens. however, if i don't play a song then everything is fine. i can play the game and manuever the ipod for hours with no battery problems. it only happens when i play a song. i m at a loss for what might be causing this, any suggestions?

i tried wiping the drive and restoring the factory settings with iPod update, and its got the latest version.

Well, hrmm.... Playing games and looking at your calendar doesn't require the hard disk to spin up.... but playing a song definitely does. hrmmmm.....

I'm going out on a limb here, but it could be that the HD is bad (i.e. dosen't spin up to read a song). Can you still mount it as an HD on your mac? If you can, then the HD should be physically OK. Then, try running the iPod HD through a disk utility program (Disk warrior, or even apple's own HD analyser in the utilities folder of OS X). That may find something wrong with HD and be able to fix it... For your sake, I sincerely hope it is not a broken HD. :(

i doubt its a broken HD because the songs and everything play just fine when its hooked up to a power source.

now, after i unplug it from my mac, the apple icon appears and then the screen goes blank. when i do a reset at that point, the ipod beeps at me, it actually emits a beep (not through the speakers but the ipod itself), then it flashes the low battery alert and shuts off.

i plug it into any kid of power supply and it works perfectly. i guess my battery built up a memory somehow... anyone got ideas how to clear a battery?

i got it a year and a half ago, so its out of warranty.... just my luck. someone once mentioned that compusa or someone sells a warranty on the ipods with no questions asked. maybe i could just buy that and then come back in a week and say its broken....

hi,
don't have an answer for you but do have a question for you about your ipod. I recently read on the epinions web site that this person purchased the 3rd gen 10 gig ipod and after 2 weeks while jogging with it, it skipped and clicked and did all the things that Apple said an ipod doesn't do.
what has been your experience with the sound quality and does yours skip and click and sometimes start and reset. after a week, Apple would only look at it for a $50 diagnosis fee.
I know somewhere there is probably a forum that discussed ipods. dont' know where though.

many thanx

go to forums at www.ipodlounge.com...those guys know EVERYTHING about iPods. If it's your battery, you can replace first generation iPod batteries yourself for $50...it's easy to do. Ask one of them for the URL, I lost it...but I know it was @ laptopbatteries.com

Hi folks,

Originally posted by markmac
[...]
I recently read on the epinions web site that this person purchased the 3rd gen 10 gig ipod and after 2 weeks while jogging with it, it skipped and clicked and did all the things that Apple said an ipod doesn't do.
[...]

I'm going to buy a new 30GB iPod next days ;) ... so now I'm little "scared":eek:. There are many problem reports about the new iPod???

I heared about the 60GB Creative Zen, it's not good as the iPod but 60GB are 60GB!! So, I'm questioning if it could be better to "reach the zen" instead ... ::angel::

Thanks very much.;)

Zen is ugly, Easter. Old iPods (some of them) had some problems and the new ones (some of them) can have some but I think you are a lot safer (and happier) with an iPod rather than a clone. I'm sure the clones have problems as well, just that the problems of the clones are discussed in completely other type of boards ... :-/

Most iPods are solid, but problems do exist. I used to have a Creative (not the Zen, which is ugly) and it was solid but nothing close to the iPod. And 60gb? More than 10,000 songs is a helluva collection. And don't forget it's harder to find a good Creative player that's Mac compatible and you still don't have the cool factor of the iPod, the features or the ease of use with iTunes. And the fact that the great majority of iPods are trouble-free. If you've been hearing more than an occasional problem with one, you've been hanging with the wrong sort of peoples. :)

Happy to see you again G.

Originally posted by Giaguara
Zen is ugly, Easter. Old iPods (some of them) had some problems and the new ones (some of them) can have some but I think you are a lot safer (and happier) with an iPod rather than a clone. I'm sure the clones have problems as well, just that the problems of the clones are discussed in completely other type of boards ... :-/

I know that *any* hardware or software will always have problems (I write that :cool:) but I would to know the new iPod issues ... just to be prepared.
I know that Zen is ugly, and the 60GB version is not available here ... the firmware is much more bad, i dislike it ... but the price is half than iPod and IF the new iPod reported problems are hard, than I will wait to buy and find more info about the Zen :confused:. You know, I worked one month to earn that money, so I would to spend money in safety.

I'm very happy you are back, I hope you are better ... just write me an e-mail if you like.

Kisses :)

All electronics have lemons. It's just the nature of the industry.

With regards to the original post, try to find someone who can take a look at it for a small $. If they can't fix it, you'll probably have to send it back to Apple.

OK, you are right ...
I don'ty know if it could be better to open a new thread or continue here ...
up to now, I know that some iPod after some time have problems regarding:
- battery (don't recharge or regharge bad)
- freeze (don't play, don't sync, don't respond, don't ...)

do you have reports about others problems?

just to quit ... I found this link:
http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/df200307/df20030711.jpg
I don't know if it is already known here.

Bye, byez_

i fixed it! just in case anyone comes here with a similar problem, i figure i should post what i did. I opened up the iPod casing and unplugged and replugged in the battery. after that, everything was working fine again.

maybe that reset the battery or did something to fix whatever was wrong with it. not that i recommend opening an iPod, but this was a simple (and free) fix, i don't have to buy a new one anymore.

Back