Ipod classic

mukiduk

Registered
My daughter gave me her old Ipod and I tried to remove all her music and put my own on. In doing so I have lost all the software that makes the Ipod run. If I connect it to a PC, I can see all my songs and play them with software on the PC because I used the PC to copy the songs from the PC and I can play the songs when it is connected to the Mac 4 but I cannot play anything when it is not connected to a computer.

I assume I have lost all the software that makes the Ipod run and I would like to put it back on again but without using Itunes. There are a number of pages on the internet that says this can be done but none say exactly how to go about it.

I did try to use Winamp on the PC but still could not make it work properly. When it is running properly, I would like to be able to play music, view videos and even show a PDF file on it so I can read it without needing a computer.

Can someone explain to this newby to apple, exactly how to do this.

Thank you,

Allan

Open System Preferences->Accounts and create a new Administrator account for yourself. Then log out and log in with that new Account you made. Then if you don't want any of her stuff anymore you can go back into System Preferences->Accounts and delete her old account, problem solved.

Stooooooooooop! Don't do what Satcomer just said, please. He misinterpreted your message, because you've posted it into "Mac OS X System & Software" instead of the iPod forum.

What you _should_ do is find out whether the iPod turns up in iTunes. If so, you should be able to restore its software to factory settings.

About other stuff you've mentioned: You can transcode video files to be playable on iTunes and the iPod using handbrake. (It won't play just any file...) PDFs won't work on the iPod. (You can use it like a harddrive, but it won't be able to show you the stuff saved onto like like on a harddrive, only what's been synched through iTunes. That doesn't include PDF documents.)

Thanks for all your help. It would not stay showing on the left hand side in Itunes for quite a long time but I finally managed to get it to stay long enough to restore it to factory settings and now I have it working perfectly. I will try the video files later on and forget about PDF files.

Allan

Back