iPod drive replacement

iscaro

Italian Cool Mac User :-)
Hi,

I have an "old" iPod 5GB first generation.
It is almost 2 yo and it is doing really good! :)

But I'd like to replace its 5GB drive with a new bigger one... maybe 40-60GB.

Is it possible? Can you tell me the maximum size of the drive or the model/brand to use?

I have a really nice book that tells me how to do it, but I have to find the right size of the drive ;)

Thanks, iRo

I think those are 2.5inch IDE drives which are common for laptops. Guess the currently biggest is around 80gb, right?

Zammy-Sam said:
I think those are 2.5inch IDE drives which are common for laptops. Guess the currently biggest is around 80gb, right?

OK, but I want to know if I can put a 40GB or 60GB or even the 80GB in it... a 40GB could be good enough!!! :)

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that you would have to get a 1.8" drive, not the 2.5". I got a 5gb iPod from a friend of mine a year ago and couldn't score a new replacement drive so I gave it away as a white elephant gift at a Christmas party. I could have gone on eBay and found a dead iPod to pillage from but there is no guarantee that it would have been functional.

I think that the 2.5" drives have the same connector but it just won't fit in the case. I had thought about hooking it up to as large a 2.5" drive as I could find and mounting it in an external Frankenstein enclosure for use as a stereo component. I read about problems getting the iPod OS to 'bless' the new drive properly. Apparently Apple does something, hardware or software I do not know, to the drive that allows it to work with the iPod hardware. I didn't want to take the risk of buying a drive only to have it not work. Plus, I really don't have time for another 'pet project'.

I gave up and just bought a new 15gb iPod from eCost. They gave me a great deal and with the warranty I'm sure it will work for several years. I think that for my time and effort, the new iPod is a much better choice.

Back