iPod erased itself; file recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscommunikate

Registered
My 60G video iPod erased itself. I don't have my files on iTunes because (a) the computer that contained them was stolen last month and (b) the hard drive backup just died yesterday, just after I retrieved it from storage ... and the day after my iPod erased itself.

The iPod has absolutely nothing on it, so it can't have accidentally synced with the new computer (which has a few mp3s on it).

Reset does nothing; I don't want to restore yet, obviously. All iTunes software on iPod and iTunes was and is up to date. The iPod has all its folders and acts normal, other than the complete lack of files.

When I plug it into the Powerbook, iTunes and the Finder both recognize it as an iPod. But iTunes says it can't read any files from stegosaurus (my name for the ipod) and then proceeds to rename it as generic, blank IPOD.

So does anyone know how to recover files from the iPod?

I have applecare, but want to assess options before I give it up for service.

I've seen some software from $50--but it has all been reviewed badly. Please tell me if you've used one successfully.

thanks!

The music files are stored on the ipod in a hidden directory - if you go into terminal you can see them just fine.

Only problem is that all the songs' filenames are changed to meaningless filenames... so you'd need to copy the music files off, then listen to each one and rename them I guess -- unless they are all tagged MP3 / AAC files .. then iTunes will import the info on them.

If the files have really been deleted, you'll need file recovery - via software, or professionals.

The music files are stored on the ipod in a hidden directory - if you go into terminal you can see them just fine.

Only problem is that all the songs' filenames are changed to meaningless filenames... so you'd need to copy the music files off, then listen to each one and rename them I guess -- unless they are all tagged MP3 / AAC files .. then iTunes will import the info on them.

Yep -- found 'em, copied 'em. Should be all right from here.

I want to say that this is not a complicated problem. And you can easilly solve it. HereI show you how to recover music from iPod.
Connect your iPod to your computer to restore custom ringtones and ringtones saved to the computer.
Click the "iPod" button in iTunes, or select your iPod in the sidebar if you enabled the option to show the sidebar.
Select the "Tones" tab, check the box for each ringtone you want to transfer to your iPhone, and then click "Sync." Sometimes a 3 party tool such as Data Recovery may help you in a easy way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back