iPod firmware hacking

Jahy

Registered
When I first downloaded an update to the iPod's firmware, I opened up the package and looked at everything inside. Eventually I realised something I would like to do.

When you look in the "about" section in the iPod you see some statistics and a bunch of copyright info for apple, Pixo (the makers of the iPod's OS), the people mp3 people. When you change languages, the copyright info is in the other language too. I want to be able to either change or add on to the text that is there.

I have searched through the localizations of the iPod updater, but it seems to be for the updater application itself. Basically my goal is (it is also interesting) to store text in the about box. I'm thinking that if line wrap works and stuff then it would be cool to put books or articles on the ipod. I don't really expect to read a book on the ipod's 2 inch screen, but technical articles or info would be useful, as well as notes for things (e.g. list for the grocery store) depending on how easy it is to change and update. Such a thing could be formatted as an address book in one language's about box and perhaps one of your favorite poems in another language's about box.

Is anyone else curious about this? I've looked over the firmware with a hex editor but can't find anything. Do you think the about box is actually a bitmap instead of text?

I don't know how I missed it the first time, but I found the localization stuff, right in the firmware.

Now I'm just too scared to do anything because I'm afraid, I'll screw something up and not be able to fix it. I have read that what I had has to be the same length as what used to be there. Why is this?

It's hard to know if you really have to match lengths or not.

I volunteer your iPod as the experimental one! =)

If you find any useful firmware hacks, though, please share them.

-Rob

Back