iPod FM remote

limike28

Registered
At Macworld, Apple introduced the iPod remote with FM tuner. I see it only works with the 5G ipod and the Nano. Anyone have any thoughts on this device? I rarely use my ipod in an area i need a radio, just wondering what the world thinks.

It's a nice try, but I would prefer the option built-in like some other players have. Personally, I use the iPod when I don't want to listen the radio, but some others might want this feature (my wife, for example).

for the People who don't want to use it as a Radio, use it as a remote. Seeing as the old one won't work with Nanos and 5G iPods, get it for the remote. The other thing is it will work as a remote for 4G iPods as well.

I honestly think it's overpriced. $49? That's way too much for an FM tuner. And especially to just use it as a remote. I can't see this being utilized much by those who already have a whole bunch of albums on their 30-60 gig iPod's.

Can the Tuner be used on older iPods - I have a 2nd Gen Mini and downloaded the recent software update for it... Is that what the software update was for?

Nope. It's only for the 5G iPod and the nano. I, too, think 49 USD is a bit much for adding a remote (not really needed for the nano, anyway) and a tuner. I hope that the 6G iPod will have the tuner integrated, and if they can, the nano could have that feature also. But I don't think it's a necessity.

What I can't read anywhere, but I'm guessing: There's no recording option, right? That's a pity. The FM tuner would probably need to be integrated for it. But when I hear a song on the radio and want to later buy it, it helps to take a quick recording of it. Doesn't even have to be a really _good_ quality recording as long as I can guess the song title afterwards etc.

If the thing were a remote, an AM/FM tuner, and an FM transmitter then I would pay $50 for it. It looks cool, but for what you get way too expensive.

What I can't read anywhere, but I'm guessing: There's no recording option, right? That's a pity. The FM tuner would probably need to be integrated for it. But when I hear a song on the radio and want to later buy it, it helps to take a quick recording of it. Doesn't even have to be a really _good_ quality recording as long as I can guess the song title afterwards etc.

I know that stations can transmit the name of the radio station to players. I've seen a couple of players that can receive the name of the song too. It would be great if you could get the title, flag it somehow and then get the song details in ITMS when you sync.

Hi people, I read on a particular website that the iPod FM remote comes with accessories. I have been trying to contact Apple officials since yesterday and I have not been able to. If anyone is lucky, them. Just as to what it is I read, check out this page. Not that I am saying that I believe that these extra items are what they are going to buy, but it did have my wheels turning even faster....

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/apple_ipod_radio_remote.html

Tell me what y'all think....

I assume the accesories you mean are the headphones, that is listed on the Apple store as being included... not sure what else I am missing.

Shookster said:
I know that stations can transmit the name of the radio station to players. I've seen a couple of players that can receive the name of the song too. It would be great if you could get the title, flag it somehow and then get the song details in ITMS when you sync.

from the Apple website:
"If you're listening to a station that supports the Radio Data System (RDS) standard, you can even see song title/artist or radio station information in the iPod display."

so you can at least do part of that. it's just a matter of remembering the song title

The Apple Store lists headphones with a shorter cord as being included. Why you need more headphones I have no idea.

Back