IPOD for pc

andrewxlt1

Registered
wasnt sure where to put this...
i want to purchase an ipod locally... mainly because im impatient and would want it right away :)
but all they have is the pc version and i was curious could you use that on a mac?
id imagine you could format the hard drive in it somehow and use the mac filesystem or am i way off base?

The Windows iPod will work flawlessly on the Mac. I just posted on a different thread about this same thing.

If you are buying an iPod I would suggest getting a Windows version for a couple of reasons:

1. You get MusicMatch Studio Plus for free.
2. You get a converter for the firewire cable to go from the (I'm not sure on the pins) big ones that Apple uses, to the little ones that some PCs use.
3. The only thing you need for it to work on the Mac is iTunes, which you can download for free from Apple's website.
4. Anytime you can get something for nothing, it's a good deal:p

Due to the security to prevent file sharing on it, you can only sync it up with one computer at a time. So if you have 100 songs on your Mac and 400 songs on your PC and you want them all on your iPod you won't be able to do it unless you put all the songs on one computer.

-Juxel

There are implications though. Before it will sync with iTunes, you will need to reformat it to HFS using the iPod update app, which is available for download from Apple's site. Once that is done there is no way (as far as I know) to convert it back to a PC iPod.

Has anyone had any issues with a PC iPod? My friend wants to get one. And i know nothing about the PC ones.

If you're concerned about it I'd suggest going to Best Buy, buying a PC one, and then try it out. If it doesn't work you can return it, and even if it does you can if you want to get it cheaper somewhere else. I've had absolutely no problems with my 10gig PC iPod and I use it on my TiBook and my Windoze box.

-Juxel

Back