iPod for windows

I don't really have time to pass by a apple store to ask a mac genius a question so I'll ask you guys cuz you probably know more anyways.

So here's my story, I have a mac at home and I think I'm gonna get hooked up with an iPod. My questions is :

If I get an iPod for windows (only so I could use the software at work where I have a grip of mp3's ... corporate broadband ... got to love it) will it work with my mac? It's not proprietory, it just comes with extra software, right ?

my power mac should see it when i plug it in.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all you mac heads.

yes, you can use a Windows iPod with a Mac on OS X.2. I didn't do anything to it, it just seemed to work. It showed up on my mac as a DOS volume.

I haven't actually gotten the PC to see it yet though. I installed the Firewire card OK, I think. But you can't install the iPod software on Win98SE. I didn't notice that before. Anyway, I have a friend I bought an iPod for who can't make her own playlists because Windows sucks. What can I say?

But my mac used it flawlessly. What I can't guarantee is that it will swap between computers flawlessly. Hell, I can't even verify that it works with Windows at all. Damn expensive present, and I can't get the software to install. I'm kinda pissy. Not particularly at Apple, but kinda. Why didn't I see that it would outright defy me on Win98SE before I bought it? I'm afraid her machine would barf if I tried to install XP. I might barf if I had to install XP on her machine. The thought of giving money to M$ to make an iPod work makes me ill. And if XP wasn't bad enough, the other option would be to install ME. eeeeeeeeek!

So yes. A windows iPod will work with a mac. Corollary, can anyone testify that a windows iPod will work with a PC?

Before you proceed to concluding anything, you should read the following two AppleCare Knowledge Base documents, as I think they are somehow relevant to your issue:

Article ID: 61711
iPod for Windows: Computer Doesn't Recognize iPod

Article ID: 61675
iPod: About Using iPod With Two Different Computers

The first one states that "iPod for Windows Software will only recognize iPod for Windows. You cannot use iPod for Macintosh with a Windows-compatible computer." The second one... I'm not so sure what the hell it says! I'm too tired. But, go to Sherlock, click on the AppleCare channel, and enter the two article IDs mentioned above to find out for yourself.

I had issues when attempting to load the iPod to a PC AFTER it had been on a mac running 10.2 (I think it had something to do with the resource files X puts on disks).

I use an iPod for Mac with my windows computer at work. I bought the XPlay software from mediafour.com. I sync my music library to my mac and use it at work as an attached drive.

If I want to download songs at work and add them to the iPod, I just put them in another folder on the iPod and add them to my music library on my cube when I get home.

This seems to work great for me. I have not tried to sync the music library to the win machine though. I do use MusicMatch 7.5 so it would probably be worth a try. I will post tomorrow if i can get it to work.

So it's x-mas and I kinda knew what is was gonna get, but .... surprise, 20 GB! I was expecting a 10GB.

So it's the one for macs. I'm happy cuz I fought off my laziness and drove to an apple store and some dude said that it's not supported by apple (cross platform) but it's been done, go to a forum. Turns out that the windows is fat32 and theres some unique code and hardware between the mac version and windows.

but I'm thrilled. Even though iPod II will probably come out soon, this rocks.

happy holidayz everyone.

My father got an iPod for Chrismass, but it's the worng model... PC 10 Gb instead of the mac version.
It's only going to get connected to a mac anyway, so can anyone tell me how to convert it? I read the KB article (61675) which speaks of a converting software, but I cannot find the updater mentioned on Apple's website...
Anyone?

TIA,

Kinniken

Back