iPod freezes, cannot do anything!

theCaptain

Member that enjoys Meece
Has anyone had their iPod freeze making it totally unusable. I just got it two days ago and it just froze on me. Nothing works, it wont communicate with my computer, it wont turn off, none of the buttons work. What can I do??

Hold down the "Menu" and Play/Pause button for 10 seconds. You're iPod will return unchanged.

I've had my iPod since December and it has happened 3 times. Annoying, but it's so simple to correct. I also have a weird bug where the screen reverses, so everything is balck except the text and the hilite area. Anyone else run into this?

I got another question for you. How do I know when my iPod is done charging and is it ok if I just always leave it connected to my iMac when im not using it?

Originally posted by dlookus
I've had my iPod since December and it has happened 3 times. Annoying, but it's so simple to correct. I also have a weird bug where the screen reverses, so everything is balck except the text and the hilite area. Anyone else run into this?

Silly, if this is happening, it's because you have the backlight on! :p Turn it off, and your screen will no longer be inverted.

Originally posted by theCaptain
I got another question for you. How do I know when my iPod is done charging and is it ok if I just always leave it connected to my iMac when im not using it?

When you have your iPod connected, you will see the little battery indicator cycle through 0 black bars, 1 black bar, 2 black bars, 3 black bars, and 4 black bars, and then it will go back to 0 black bars and repeat the sequence. If it's doing this, then your iPod battery is charging. If the battery indicator is just stopped at 4 black bars even while your iPod is plugged in, then you know that the battery is fully charged.

It's perfectly fine to leave your iPod connected when it's not using it. It might get a little warm, which is normal, but nothing bad will happen to your iPod if you keep it connected all the time.

Oh, one other thing: make sure you do not have the hold switch activated when you hold down the "Menu" and "Play/Pause" buttons for 10 seconds when you are unfreezing your iPod. The hold switch ALWAYS works, no matter if your iPod is frozen or not, so make sure it is not in the on position, or you'll think your iPod is forever frozen.

I just had a problem yesterday where my iPod simply died. Nothing on screen, no response to anything.

After getting of the line with Apple tech support (and realizing that I had passed the miniscule 90-day warranty by a couple of weeks), I found that my iPod decided to turn itself back on.

Seemed kinda random.

John

Back