iPod Icon

Mat

iSmell
Hi

I just updated my iPod to 3.0.2, and when it was finished the iPod's icon went from an iPod to the generic volume icon.

I was just wondering if anyone who has the original icon for the 4th generation iPod could please post it for me, so my life can go back to normality.

Thanks

Mat

From MacFixIt;

Generic iPod icons We continue to receive reports that after applying the update, users' iPods no longer have custom iPod icons in the Finder.

MacFixIt reader Chris Habig reports a potential fix:

"I too, got the generic disk icon for my iPod following the latest security update. It's simple to get it back, though. In Panther's terminal (located in the Applications/Utilities folder), execute the following command (all as one line, make sure no line breaks exist) to rebuild the launch services database:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Thanks Bob. I tried that and got this:

-convert Register apps found in older LS database files -h Display this help.
-load Load the LaunchServices service plugin if it's not already loaded.
-lazy n Sleep for n seconds before registering apps if the local cache
is aleady populated.
-r Recursively register directory contents, do not recurse into
packages or invisible directories.
-R Recursively register directory contents, including the contents
of packages and invisible directories.
-v Display progress information.

What do I do? Sorry, Im not very Terminal savvy.

I did and nothing happened. You said to do it in Panther, I'm using Jaguar, 10.2.8.
Is that the problem?

1. enable disk use on your iPod
2. you need to be able to see invisible files (Pathfinder, Cocktail for this type of
stuff - {view - invisible files})
3. locate the file .VolumeIcon.icns in the main iPod directory and move it to
the trash (this is the file that was corrupt for me). 4. Find the iPod Updater in your Utilities folder, ctrl-click and show package
contents. Navigate to Contents/Resources/Updates. In here you will find
icons for every different ipod model. Using preview, you can find the one that
you need.
5. copy the icon file that you need to the main iPod directory, then rename it
.VolumeIcon.icns
6. turn off disk mode if you want to, disconnect and reconnect the iPod. You
should see the the appropriate icon now.

Awesome Bob, that was much easier. Thanks a lot mate it is all good again.

Thanks so much.

Mat

does this apply to iDisk aswell? i just set up my 60 days free trial yesterday, but the iDisk icon in Finder is the one of azureus. although when i gi apple+i it appears as the iDisk icon i have selected trough candybar..

any ideas how to fix this? i've tried to just copy&paste a new icon into the get-info window, but it won't stick..

alex.

Back