iPod II rumors: buy now or wait?

hazmat

Rusher of Din
I have seen the new rumors of a major iPod update coming soon. I am about to have the money for a 20 gig iPod from selling one of my computers, and really want one. Any advice on whether to buy now or wait?

What is ure source of this update and i highly doubt hthey well drop the 5 gig unit.Iam looking at getting one so........

January is only a month and a half away. If having the latest and greatest in consumer electronics is important to you, then I suggest waiting.

Its called christmas and my parents ar buyin it now if u can tell me how they can buy me a ipod and wait till january...

Though I am not very sure where the iPod line will be heading to (as in, I am not sure if there are really going to be dropping of models to make way for new ones) but I am sure after a period of time, Apple might have something up their sleeves and also, a promotion of sorts over the Christmas season.

Nordex, I cannot tell you to buy it now or later, but I can tell you that you are lucky "en tabarnak" to get it for christmas...

I'm just jealous, I had to work a lot to pay my iPod...

Originally posted by Canada-Man
Nordex, I cannot tell you to buy it now or later, but I can tell you that you are lucky "en tabarnak" to get it for christmas...

I'm just jealous, I had to work a lot to pay my iPod...

I sold my Sun Blade 100. :)

I think I will just get it now. Even if the price drops, it will mean I have gotten at leas a couple of more months out of this, plus I don't need color for this use. All the things I have heard of what it might have, like photo display or even video, I woldn't use either, and would just significantly reduce the awesome 10 hour battery life. Maybe there will be more, but I really don't want to wait two more months for it when I can get it now.

i just had a vision of the new ipod... here's what i wish it would be:
it would be a flip open deal, with two screens. small display saying what 's playing and have the time and all that on the outside. larger (3.5") screen on the inside of the flip up lid. the wheel and additional buttons would be on the base (the part that you hold, cell phone style).
the screen would be color, and it would have an airport card and bluetooth built into it. it would have a single firewire port and a 1/8" port and the hold button, like it does now. perhaps a usb port as well.
it would come with a way to read/set iChat's away messages (or possibly even chat? but the screen real estate may not allow it), it would have a compact version of address book, and maybe a compact mail.app and iCal.
not quite as powerful as a PDA, but it has the important features. input would be through a 3rd party or apple created firewire or usb keyboard with a built in ipod mount.
i think it's doable and it would be extremely handy, at least for me.

I've read something about a device like that. It's called the 'iBook'. Should be out by November 2002 for 999$. ;)

Afaik, the iPod will stay a media PLAYER, the device that connects to the digital hub. It _will_ let you see iCals and the Address Book (like the iPod does now) and will be tightly integrated with iTunes and iPhoto. There will also be a small application that lets you prepare movies for the iPod (convert them in resolution and to MPEG-4).

But the half-a-PDA you're proposing isn't gonna happen anytime soon - although it'd be an interesting concept, I guess.

iPod is all about simple tasks and simple solutions. And media playing.

Thanks for the input, Fryke. That sold me on the current iPod. :) I don't need color nor photos. All I need out of it really is music as it plays now, the small address book (as soon as someone figures out how to sync my CDMA cell phone to the Mac), and I guess the calendar. Then again my cell phone also has a calendar and such.

Originally posted by fryke
I've read something about a device like that. It's called the 'iBook'. Should be out by November 2002 for 999$. ;)

yarharhar.

i don't care about photos, watching movies, burning cds, etc. on the go. i just care about keeping in touch, listening to music, and keeping organized. i know the current ipod does it now, but it can be improved and i know apple will do it. a larger screen is needed imho which warrants the dual screen thing.
i don't think i'm that far off, really. it's not a pda, that's the point. it would be something that's actually useful and intuitive.

... watching movies and viewing pictures on an ipod would really be kind of pointless, wouldn't it? how exciting can a 2" diagonal screen be?

Why not wait to buy an ipod in January just to see if the price will go down for the 20G? Save a few bucks and get what you want (maybe even bigger) is always good.

Originally posted by boi
i just had a vision of the new ipod... here's what i wish it would be:
it would be a flip open deal, with two screens. small display saying what 's playing and have the time and all that on the outside. larger (3.5") screen on the inside of the flip up lid. the wheel and additional buttons would be on the base (the part that you hold, cell phone style).
the screen would be color, and it would have an airport card and bluetooth built into it. it would have a single firewire port and a 1/8" port and the hold button, like it does now. perhaps a usb port as well.
it would come with a way to read/set iChat's away messages (or possibly even chat? but the screen real estate may not allow it), it would have a compact version of address book, and maybe a compact mail.app and iCal.
not quite as powerful as a PDA, but it has the important features. input would be through a 3rd party or apple created firewire or usb keyboard with a built in ipod mount.
i think it's doable and it would be extremely handy, at least for me.

Share with me what were you on when you were writing this... I would need a little bit of this trip to get my next business proposal done for a R&D company. :D j/k.

But with ideas comes innovation and new products. Thanks for rekindling that fire and reminder that sometimes, it takes a little dream to make big things happen. Thanks.

i say, youve gone without an ipod for a while, you can wait a couple more months, just to see if the rumors pan out...

tis what i did with the ibook and now im happy :)

Originally posted by fryke

Afaik, the iPod will stay a media PLAYER, the device that connects to the digital hub. It _will_ let you see iCals and the Address Book (like the iPod does now) and will be tightly integrated with iTunes and iPhoto. There will also be a small application that lets you prepare movies for the iPod (convert them in resolution and to MPEG-4).

But the half-a-PDA you're proposing isn't gonna happen anytime soon - although it'd be an interesting concept, I guess.

iPod is all about simple tasks and simple solutions. And media playing.

Just want to say, i love ya Site man! :D

Neyo

Originally posted by BuddahBobb
i say, youve gone without an ipod for a while, you can wait a couple more months, just to see if the rumors pan out...

And if they don't? Then wait until February to see what happens? If you really want the latest and greatest, there's only one time to buy - when it's first announced. That means you wait on Apple.

Otherwise, buck up and get over the idea that you'll feel ripped off if they rev it a month later.

or else wait untill the announcement is made and get the one on it's way out - knowing that you got it new and at the best price it was ever offered for. :D

well how solid are the rumors? are they as solid as the new books were? if so wait, if not, its a tough decision

i generally wait on the rumormill, and its generally a nice thing

i got new ibook, and my quicksilver right when announced because i waited on both based on rumours

The iPod rumours aren't that strong. But usually Apple will stop on supplies when something is around the horizon... LOL.

Back