iPod II rumors: buy now or wait?

Thanks, NeYo. :)

Yes, the right time to buy is always just after the release of a new model. Either you'll buy an old one cheaper or a new one when it's still new (and new ones won't come out anytime soon).

Now, if all you want is a great portable music player, I can tell you that the 10G model is really the best option right now. I own one, and I don't look back. I might sell mine as soon as the new ones come out (or a week before) ;) ... but my needs are covered, really. I was the kinda guy that used to love MiniDisc players, since they let me combine the songs I wanted on the way on a small, robust medium.

But the iPod really fulfilled my dream. Now I *do* have all the music I *own* (everything's on my iPod, everything) with me all the time. It's a great feeling. And if you create meaningful playlists for yourself, you're set and ready to go wherever you want, with your custom soundtrack to the movie of your life.

The iPod also largely replaced my stereo's CD and MD player, since it's so much easier to just select a playlist on the iPod than to find the right CD or MD in a large collection. I'd love to buy a stand for it, but it doesn't really make much (economical) sense right now.

The good thing about the iPod is that even if new ones are released at MWSF, the old one doesn't as much lose as an old computer or notebook would. You can get the specs at http://macnews.net.tc - but 'your old 10G iPod' will still happily play your MP3 music, and with the software update even AAC (hopefully, I can't confirm that yet).

Also, 10G is surely enough for even quite a large music collection. You might want to go for the 20G version if you think of using it as a backup medium for your Mac, too, but the 10G even does that for me, since I have 'only' 4G of music and I keep my user folder under 4G, too. But then again I have a 60G FireWire drive for backup/installation purposes.

You won't be disappointed if you buy an iPod now, because the thing is really, really good. But you might get it at a cheaper price early next year or even buy the iPod II with the new features, if it appeals to you and you've got the money.

Back