iPod is a PDA, we just don't know it yet???

doublejoint

Registered
A lot of my friends are saying they think Apple could release an iPod software update that will turn it into a PDA. They also say that they heard the iPod's original design was included a touch sensitive screen, and that while deciding not to use the function, they still used the screens anyway. I don't know if any of this is true of course, but I'd say it's an interesting idea. Wouldn't that be cool if Jobs revealed something like that? Also if Apple made a PDA, everyone would want it to be able to play mp3's. This way, the new PDA wouldn't canibalize the iPod.
Any comments on this note?
:)

if you have a PDA, and an iPod... you'll see the difference in the screen size...

the screen just isn't big enough to display useful amount of information at once. I wouldn't want to be going up and down all the time. I'll stick with my palm, even if my iPod started to function as a PDA...

and it'll take too long to enter information... FW keyboard for iPod...?

Originally posted by beef

the screen just isn't big enough to display useful amount of information at once.

Hmmm...what's the resolution?

Originally posted by beef
and it'll take too long to enter information... FW keyboard for iPod...?

How about a really flat one you could fold together, so it didn't take up any more space than the iPod...or one you could wrap around the iPod so it'd work as a case!?! Wouldn't that sound like an idea worthy of Apple?

yeah you're probably right. but it could be handy for simple things like storing phone numbers etc. I just think it has potential to be much more powerfull, or should I say utilize the power that it had right now. Just an idea though. I'd really like to see a nice PDA with a cool color screen and a load of great software too.

i may have just dreamed this, but i'm pretty sure i remember reading about some hack or small application for the iPod that allows you to store phone numbers, etc on it.

i wish i could remember where i saw that.

there's an app to store addressbook thing in ipod (goes in as playlist or something, and shows info like name, address, phone number instead of song, band, etc).

I forgot what it's called. but if you do search on iPod on versiontracker, you'd probably find it.

well, eventually, I'm sure people will be using a pda/phone/portable-audio device... i dunno when that's gonna be, but... my opinion is that most of these combo things out there now suck. I dunno who came up with that phone with mp3 player, but that's one of the shittiest thing I've seen.

As for iPod as PDA... maybe it's fine if you're only gonna look at small info that's already stored in it...

I'm not sure how many of the people that are saying "if iPod functioned as a PDA, I'd buy one" have actually held iPod in their hands. It's smaller than Palm (well, thicker...but that's not important), and iPod's screen is smaller than half of it's top surface... smaller is better for portable devices, I guess...but if it's a PDA, you need to find some middle ground for the size of the unit and the size of the screen... that's why I got rid of MP2100, too... sure, it had alot better writing shit than palm, and it was great... but it was just too damn big to walk around with...

if someday, there's an external keyboard, I'd rather have one like palm... foldable might be cool to look at, but the keyboard won't be that flat... and iPod's already as thick as a deck of cards... if you have them together... well... it sure will be uncomfortable to carry them in a pocket...

having said all that... I'm not an inventor or anything... and I never come up with anything cool... so, maybe somebody will come up with something that satisfies all these things...

From Apple:

Display
2-inch (diagonal) liquid crystal display with white LED backlight
160-by-128-pixel resolution, 0.24-mm dot pitch
Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Actually the thing that gets me is why would they call it the iPod. The word, pod isnt a direct reference to music. This may sound insane but I can see Apple releasing a mini LCD that you attach to the firewire port and a Operating System that you dowload to turn the iPod into a mini PDA.

Panorama Pod Organizer

- MacWeek -
"At next week's Macworld Expo,
database developers ProVUE Development plan to
demonstrate its new Panorama Pod Organizer.
The Panorama iPod Organizer enables you to store
and access phone number, e-mail addresses, flight
numbers, appointment times and other data on your iPod."

ok, that might be cool... but how convenient is that, really?

you need to attach an external lcd display and a keyboard, or something to enter data... I dunno how big your pocket is, but I doubt that they'd all fit in one pocket... and the idea of taking out all these things out of every pocket you have on your pants, then putting them togeter, just to enter some data while you're outside...and can your hold them all in one hand? well, they'd probably have something to attach them all together if they actually come up with this thing...

but you know... if that's the only PDA I can have... I'll just take some notepad and a pen...

I'm not sure if "optional external LCD display fo iPod" is something that sells well either...

I dunno what it is that started iPod as PDA thing...maybe people were sort of disappointed by the hype (revolutionary, etc) the iPod had, and just can't let go of the idea that the thing is more than a mp3 player/external fw drive... but I think that's all it is...and I still bought it... and as far as I can tell, it's better than other mp3 players out there that I've tried/owned.. (not the cheapest...but oh well...

It might sound like I have something against the idea... but I just fail to see a clear picture of it functioning as a PDA... and attaching stuffs on it seems to take away the idea of convenience...

Back