iPod is crap

applemaz said:
Even if it was shrink-wrapped, that doesn't mean it wasn't opened. All you need is to know someone in retail to get it rewrapped for sale.
Or head to the local Kinkos...many of their stores have the shrink wrap machines, as do other package/printing places. Costs a buck or two to get it done.

applemaz said:
Sounds like the original poster's problems stem from buying it off ebay to save money. Chances are pretty good that the original owner either did something to it or it was just defective and they decided to pawn it off on some other unsuspecting soul. Even if it was shrink-wrapped, that doesn't mean it wasn't opened. All you need is to know someone in retail to get it rewrapped for sale.

The scratch issue and iCal sync issue are worthy rants, but everything else is just that individual's opinion. They probably shouldn't own any music/video player, because they are bound to find problems with any manufacturer's player.

Right. ok. Well, thankyou for your input, for all it's value. Did you even bother asking me about the specifics before jumping to conclusions? No. Instead you've made assumptions. I bought it from a shop who also sell via eBay, I saved about £5. I bought it online via that shop (moreover via their eBay account) because it accepted Paypal. I paid that way because I had the money to spend in my Paypal account and it was not practical or convenient to put the money in a bank account and buy it in the High Street. Not that this is any of your business.

It was brand new, sealed - not because some 'chav' sealed it at the local Kwik Save, but because that's the way Apple made it, inside everything was sealed as it should be. I'm not stupid and I don't appreciate your insinuation otherwise. For the record, I can exchange it, no problem. HOW WILL THAT GIVE ME MORE BATTERY LIFE WHEN PLAYING VIDEO? PLEASE, please tell me because you obviously are far more qualified in the subject than me, I've just missed something, there must be something in the 'ether' which effects cell capacity when being posted via the Royal Mail. Better still, perhaps you have some insight into how buying via eBay effects a battery? Doh!

As for what I should or shouldn't own, that's my choice and not yours, thanks. You'll have to forgive me if I don't put too much stock in your advice at the moment. When I spend this amount of money on something (and I'm SO sorry if I consider spending £200 a substantial amount) I expect the quality the manufacturer advertises and implies, this product is not up to scratch in terms of video/battery performance. It's my RIGHT to be vexed about it, because it's no better than my OLD and KNACKERED Zaurus 5500. As for things like not turning off after a full charge/sync, well, do some research, others have problems, not many but some... my friend's 4G does the same from time to time.

That reminds me, I'll have to phone him in a moment to tell him next time HIS iPod won't switch off, it's not real, it's just his 'opinion'.

That's made my day, priceless! I'm off to fix my bike before I nut the screen. :rolleyes:

chillax fjdouse, applemaz wasn't the only one to jump to those conclusions (I did, for one). After all, all you said in your original post was "bought it off eBay, the seller won't re-imburse me as it's not faulty". I think it's a pretty fair assumption that eBay = 2nd hand item.

No worries. I don't think it requires too much intelligence to tell whether you're buying from an individual second hand, or brand new or from a bricks-n-mortar shop with an ebay account or whatever.

For something like this, I use a shop (which in a bad-case scenario I can visit and crack heads) and gives a receipt etc. etc. But it is an *assumption* to conclude what I said equals second hand goods, there's no way I'd buy one second hand, not for £200!!!

I've said my bit, video/battery life is crap and there is some kind of software glitch that prevents shut-off after a charge/sync, this is a problem many iPod users (not ALL) have, including a friend of mine (4G iPod). It doesn't mean it's because it was bought off eBay, that would not explain the other cases. It's just an example of a mass-hyped product which has some design flaws and software glitches in some cases.

...and can I just congratulate fjdouse on the excellent clarity of the original thread title?
Adrift on a sea of "Help me!@??!" and "What the f**k is going on?" posts, I think we can safely say that this one did exactly what it said on the tin!

I too find the clickwheel a bit difficult to use. Perhaps it would be possible for Apple to add some kind of menu-based sensitivity control?
But, for an extra £20 my 5G30GB is also used to back up NEF images from my camera . . . a godsend. And it's cheaper than the Nikon Coolwalker. Lovely.

You guys make me chuckle!

Yes, I say it as I mean it. I remember someone telling me that if you never say what you really mean, then you can never really mean what you say.

:)

To be honest, I've doing lots of creative work on my lucious Mac, but I do drop by from time to time, how could I not? ;)

I think I've owned more iPods than anyone else in here (26 so far and going strong)

I don't currently own all of these, however I have at least purchased and used them for at least 4 months

6 5GB First Gens (One died because I dropped it, and I bought some for cheap and sold them later when I upgraded to the newer iPods)
4 iPod Videos (use them as neat external HDs for my business)
5 Click Wheel monochromes (three 20s and two 40s)
5 iPod Minis (Two Silvers and Three Greens, One replaced, one Stolen)
3 Third Gens (gf currently has one, and AppleCare just replaced it too ;) )
2 iPod Nanos (great for the gym and incredible battery life)
1 1GB Shuffle (Gave it to my mom)

Yeah, I have 8 still (4 Video, 1 mini, 1 20GB, 1 Shuffle, and 1 15GB). Some are just lying around, some are just for shoots and giggles.

Now the question is...why do I have so many iPods? Why not?

Of all of these, how many have had Battery Failures? 2
How many have I messed up myself? 1
How many have I treated like crap? 20 at least!

I take both my video and nano into the sauna for usually 30 mins daily and guess what? They work great.

I must admit that Apple must implement some sort of sensitivity setting, but other than that, I have no complaints.

For me 2 hours of video time is plenty, as I watch a whole movie while jogging on the treadmill. And I like how I can change the volume even if the iPod is in my pocket.

So hate on me or learn lol

the charger costs £20 big deal, and go to settings and there is a volume limit, aww poor you do you ears still hurt? Go and moan to your mum.
How about the good things like how long does an album take to upload on to it??? 8 seconds? the video / photo quality is amazing, the sound quality is amazing, 7,500 - 15,000 songs in your pocket.

Also why didnt you go to the store and try before you buy,
If you dont like the iPod Go and get the Microsoft Zune Poo that is coming out and quit moaning to us about it, we dont care.

I have an iPod 60 GB and it is one of the best products I have bought.
My iPod mini still works.

The ipod is a product with extremely good sales. I don't have any mp3player, but a walkman. Yesterday at noon I got an extremely good idea for a mp3player. If it is commercialy acceptable it will hit the market.

I think I've owned more iPods than anyone else in here (26 so far and going strong)

I don't currently own all of these, however I have at least purchased and used them for at least 4 months

6 5GB First Gens (One died because I dropped it, and I bought some for cheap and sold them later when I upgraded to the newer iPods)
4 iPod Videos (use them as neat external HDs for my business)
5 Click Wheel monochromes (three 20s and two 40s)
5 iPod Minis (Two Silvers and Three Greens, One replaced, one Stolen)
3 Third Gens (gf currently has one, and AppleCare just replaced it too ;) )
2 iPod Nanos (great for the gym and incredible battery life)
1 1GB Shuffle (Gave it to my mom)

Yeah, I have 8 still (4 Video, 1 mini, 1 20GB, 1 Shuffle, and 1 15GB). Some are just lying around, some are just for shoots and giggles.

Now the question is...why do I have so many iPods? Why not?

Of all of these, how many have had Battery Failures? 2
How many have I messed up myself? 1
How many have I treated like crap? 20 at least!

I take both my video and nano into the sauna for usually 30 mins daily and guess what? They work great.

I must admit that Apple must implement some sort of sensitivity setting, but other than that, I have no complaints.

For me 2 hours of video time is plenty, as I watch a whole movie while jogging on the treadmill. And I like how I can change the volume even if the iPod is in my pocket.

So hate on me or learn lol

Wow I think you might wanna enter that as a world record!

On many occasions I cannot turn the frakkin thing off, the backlight dims then comes back on. Resetting makes no difference.

After holding the play button down to turn off, do you push the lock slider over? That will keep the ipod from turning back on.

Back