Ipod mini 2nd gen Q?

camgangrel21

Mac Programer
Will iPod mini just up and died on me no less then a hour ago now. What want to know is this. 1: What battery is a good one to go with? I'm looking at the one on the OWC site. It say that it has 50% more life then the OEM but is there one that will out last this one? 2: I'm looking at the fact that I can buy a 8 GB hard drive that will work in my mini for under $100.00, but would like to hear from those of you that have done this. and as for those of you that have a friend of a friend story need not saying anything, but those mini owners that have done this upgade please speek up. I would like know what pit fills or +s there to this other then just the biger room. And to those of you that will say just go get a Nano. I have one thing to say Hell No!! I will not go!! And as for those that will say get a 5th Gen iPod. All I have to say is where is the money tree of yours that I can pick off of. Because I don't have one. I have to make do with what I got.

Anything you guy can give me on this will help me out alot.

Thank you all for your time,
camgangrel

I have been thinking of doing the same thing, since my 6GB drive is acting up...
I haven't yet, but I did find this resource (though you've probably already seen it).
http://homepage.mac.com/jason.parry/mini8gb.html
I have dissected my mini, and it's not too hard to do if you have the right size screwdriver(s) and even minimal technical skill, so replacing the drive won't be hard at all. I'll be replacing my 6GB with a 4GB drive soon (it was much cheaper than an 8GB).
Where did you see an 8GB drive for $100? They are all much more expensive where I'v found them.

I found the drive by doing a foogle lookup for it. Come on has no one ever had to give there iPod mini a new life come I need some feed back.

Here's an update. I have not purchased one of the 8GB seagate CFII "photo drives" (really a microdrive), but I did get a Hitachi 6GB microdrive and completed some brain surgery on my mini today.

It's pretty simple and should work fine with the 8GB drive, even on your second gen mini.

My mini went from being a paraplegic to perfectly fine. If you have the money to buy a new drive (I only sorta did, but I did it anyway, I got my 6GB at bestbuy for 120 bucks), go for it.

Back