iPod Mini First Impressions

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
Well, I got one of these suckers. Not for myself mind you, but it was shipped to me for a friend. Anyhow, I took about 15 minutes of its time and I was really impressed. I'm not the biggest music freak around, I love music, but would rather have a portable AM/FM radio. :)

It is small, slicker than a whistle... I like the fact it doesn't have the chrome back on it like the regular iPod. Downloaded about 27 songs in 20 seconds. That was awesome.

Don't have $250 to spend right now... otherwise, I'd probably.... buy a TiVo replacement or something.

Scott

PS - Daughter thought it was a phone, she held it up to her ear. She is 21 months old.

Attachments

• DSCN3529.jpg
    DSCN3529.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN3531.jpg
    DSCN3531.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN3533.jpg
    DSCN3533.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN3536.jpg
    DSCN3536.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN3537.jpg
    DSCN3537.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 97
PS - Daughter thought it was a phone, she held it up to her ear. She is 21 months old.

... exactly what any self respecting pre-2-year old would do! ::love:: (Mine normally finishes his calls on my calculator by dropping it on a hard surface.... Better watch out if I get on of those mini's)

The packaging is huge!

hehe, in her hands the ipod mini looks like the regular ipod in my hands. It must be smaller than a handy, huh?
Looks really nice.. and cute daughter, Scott!

you heard it here first..Apple breaking into the lucrative infant music market. Available at the iTMS...theme tune to Barney, Postman Pat and Sesame Street. Maybe the old A-Team tune for when they get to 4/5 years old...

uoba said:
(Mine normally finishes his calls on my calculator by dropping it on a hard surface....

She also loves my calculator. I think it's funny how very little children so want to emulate what their parents do. (I'm Scott's wife)

The iPod mini was SO COOL. Maybe someday....
:D

>She also loves my calculator. I think it's funny how very little children
> so want to emulate what their parents do. (I'm Scott's wife)

She has good taste! :) I bet she loves your HP calc! ;-)

>The iPod mini was SO COOL. Maybe someday....

Yes, It's very cool... :) Still imagining an mIPAl to match my 15" PB... ;-)

/Watson :)

My friend got one friday night - and boy are they awesome. The have such a great feel to them with the aluminum, and I really liked the way the middle button clicks. I don't think that I'll be in the market for one anytime soon though.
But it had to be the coolest thing I had seen this year.

April. But the price is a sticking point... Apple stated £199 a few weeks back. But after an outcry (£199 roughly translates to $340(?), and the iPod mini is $249), they've stated the price will be set closer to release.

Yeah I remember something about them 'reviewing their european pricing scheme' - hopefully for more than just the iPod mini; I'm sick of subsidising the rest of the planet. Everything cost more here than anywhere else, although Switzerland and Belgium are pretty steep too.
I hope apple do better than the car manufacturers - cars used to be roughly twice the price here as on the continent, and when the british public finally got sick of it they dropped the prices - by about 25% in the best case....
Anyone remember the "Rip-off Britain" articles in the tabloids?
Naturally apple don't have that much to be able to reduce for the iPod mini, price-wise, and I wouldnt expect them to go really close to the exchange rate as of course this could change. What do you reckon, exchange rate plus 10% or so? After all, the dollar's not going to suddenly recover and double in value overnight....

celeborn said:
Yeah, and a huge waste of materials. But that's the "American Lifestyle" I guess :p

Oh for christ's sake, they use the same packaging everywhere.

Maybe Apple should go back to selling computers in plastic bags. :rolleyes:

MacMuppet said:
Has anyone heard anything concrete about when they will be selling these in Blighty?

I live near Glasgow (Scotland) and I allready have an iPod Mini :p i bought in on ebay (before they were ven relased in the US) I got it on Friday (via a seller in the US) and it cost me £185 including p&p but i checked the other day and I'm sure you could get one for £175/180 now (the inicial rush has ended) The only thing is is comes with the american plug adpter fited to the ac adapter but it can still be charged through your fire wire, but I thought ahead and I also purchased a apple world travel adapter kit so now i can take my mini (almost) anyware in the world :D gd old apple gave me all the info on their website even before the release :) oh n by the way in answer to the original thread - I luv it its sooooo small the pictures dont do it justice, its smaller than my month old nokia! (mobie)

Back