iPod Mini for Runners?

Durbrow

Registered
Two queries: Have runners found that running with an iPod (of any type) increases their motivation, distance, and pace?

Second, has anyone runned with the armband for the iPod Mini or the clip? Is there a big difference in jiggling the hard disk or having the thing fall off?

Thanks in advance.

Durbrow said:
Two queries: Have runners found that running with an iPod (of any type) increases their motivation, distance, and pace?

Second, has anyone runned with the armband for the iPod Mini or the clip? Is there a big difference in jiggling the hard disk or having the thing fall off?

Thanks in advance.

i got a mini that i run with using the arm band, but only the regular earbuds not the in-ear type. i'll answer your second question first. the armband is well made. it's very sturdy and nicely fitting. depending on how tight you put it on, there is no jiggling at all. i haven't noticed any performance problems when running at all. just be careful where you swing your arms, the band could rub against your side if your not careful.

i can't really say about the impact it has made on the running. i've only been running with it for a few weeks, and this is after half a year of not running, so i'm getting back into it. i enjoy listening to music while i run, but i don't think that it will necessarily have an effect on how well i run.

ryan

I was trying to find an article that was in apple.netscape.com a few weeks back (5 days at least, no more than one month I believe) that had interesting news about some research ... that proved that the runners who listened t music (read: iPod) while running used their brain better the same day .. were smarter etc. I can't find the link to that article right now, but I will post it if I find it. :)

iPod mini should not be bouncy or jump/skip while running.

found: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/homerealestate/package.jsp?name=fte/musicexercise/musicexercise

Exercise not only helps you lose weight while strengthening your muscles, but also gives you an energy boost and improves your mood.[..]

Researchers from The Ohio State University have determined that exercising to music may provide a distinct cognitive boost, reports Science Daily. Specifically, when cardiac rehabilitation patients listened to music while working out, their scores on a verbal fluency test increased.

"This is the first study to look at the combined effects of music and short-term exercise on mental performance," said Charles Emery, the study's lead author and a professor of psychology at The Ohio State University in Columbus. "Evidence suggests that exercise improves the cognitive performance of people with coronary artery disease. And listening to music is thought to enhance brain power. We wanted to put the two results together."

The study: Thirty-three men and women who were in the final weeks of a cardiac rehabilitation program after undergoing bypass surgery, angioplasty, or cardiac catheterization, participated in the research. It's long been known that coronary artery disease has the potential to compromise cognitive ability. It is for this reason that cardiac patients were chosen. The participants completed a verbal fluency exam before and after two separate sessions of exercising on a treadmill for 30 minutes. During one of the sessions, they listened to Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons," a classical musicpiece with a moderate tempo that has been shown in previous research to have positive effects on medical patients. Each patient's level of anxiety and depression were also evaluated before and after the two exercise sessions, which took place one week apart.

The results: Participants reported feeling better emotionally and mentally after working out regardless of whether or not they listened to music. But the improvement in verbal fluency test performance after listening to music was more than double that of the non-music condition, reports Science Daily. "Exercise seems to cause positive changes in the nervous system, and these changes may have a direct effect on cognitive ability," Emery explained. "Listening to music may influence cognitive function through different pathways in the brain. The combination of music and exercise may stimulate and increase cognitive arousal while helping to organize cognitive output."[..]

The study findings were published in the journal Heart & Lung

:)

I use my regular sized iPod for running all the time. I use the belt clip and attache it to my waste band. I've found that if you attach it to your lower back waste area, it doesn't get into the way at all. I hold the wired remote and off I go.

Both the iPod and the iPod Mini have hard drives. Both of them are also pretty sturdy and can take a little jostling.

As far as the motivation, I think I feel more motivated to run when I have my iPod, and I am able to use fast paced songs to help my up the hills and slower paced songs to help keep a steady pace.

I actually have a playlist called 'running' which I play. I set it up for the length of my run. It starts out with slower songs, then builds to a fast paced song or two then back down... My run mirrors the playlist and when it's done, so am I. That way I can control the time I am running without having to look at a watch.

I also use my regular iPod for sessions at the gym and riding my bike. I have an armband (plenty available to meet your needs) and it's steady enough that I've never had a skip.
I'm thinking of getting a Mini just to make it more comfy (at least that's what I'm telling my S/O. :p

Back