iPod Mini wont wake up.

Reality

Registered
My bro is a funny type. He buys and buys before he actually looks into things. Today for example, he got himself a iPod Mini. Trouble is it needs "USB 2" to work and my computer only has USB original. I own a iPod (3rd Gen 15 Gigs) myself which came with a firewire cable. So by all means it should be compatible with the mini (Apple's website said so), but the stupid thing still wont turn on. Even when I run the software, and the computer ask me to plug the ipod in, but it still wont wake up.

This is all weird to me. The cable works on my iPod and should work on this mini. Does anyone have any suggestions? I only have 4 days to get this up and working for him. He is in the Marines and is going to Iraq when his time is up and he wants to take some of his favorite music with him. Plus the trip to the store that sales the iPod is a good 2-3 hrs away. :confused:

You don't need USB 2.0 for it to work. It will charge and sync just fine over USB 1.1. I know because I have USB 1.1 and my 2G 6GB mini works fine. So, if you have 1.1 it should work fine, I don't know how you'll know other than to just plug it in and see if it starts charging.

As for your problem, are you saying it's a brand new mini that isn't turning on? Have you or he charged it for the initial 4 hour period that is suggested/required? I suggest you go over to the forums in ipodlounge.com, they seem to know everything there and have likely faced a similar problem. Make sure to use the search function first for your problem before posting (although given your time crunch I imagine people won't mind if you just post first). Apple's website also has lots of support pages for the iPod. Good luck.

Is your software for the iPod fully up to date? If you've got a 3rd Gen. then it's possible that your software is out of date and doesn't see the iPod (it should still charge when plugged into the Firewire port if the cable's ok...) Update your software via software update in the Apple menu (and make sure that you've not set the iPod software as 'ignored' in the Software Update preferences.
You can try connecting with the USB cable as it 'should' work, but only at USB 1.1 speed (ie. slooooowwwwwwwlllllyyyyy) but it might have to do if that's the only thing that works.
Wierd, take a look at ipodlounge.com in the forums and see if you can find anything.
Oh, and fully charge it, reset it (Play and pause held for 3 secs I think, check the manual...) and try again.

If you can get it to turn on, then definitely try resetting it. That solves 90% of all problems. To reset: 1) Switch on and then off the Hold button; 2) Press and hold Menu and Select (center button) until screen goes blank and Apple logo shows up. Make sure it's disconnected from the computer before doing this.

Thanks for the fast replies guys. It's weird, I of course tried the original USB 2 cable it came with. The instructions from the manual tell me to run the software first. The software will install the latest updates onto the iPod it's self. (I did this with Apple's Software update not maybe a month ago with my own iPod.) When it comes time to do that and it tells me to connect the iPod, I do so but the iPod remains dead. It's not becoming active at all.

The iPod does need to charged but it does so by connecting to the Mac. So normally, it should at lest turn it's self on and have a charging icon on screen. I'm not even getting that. I even tried my own AC iPod Adapter with it. It's like this iPod is completely dead and it's not even out of it's plastic wrapping yet. So sos weird. I'll try that other site like suggested. Thanks again guys.

Just to share, everything has worked out just fine. We went to the store and got a perfectly working iPod. The moment he got home, he bought over 128 songs and a few audio books for the thing off iTunes (apple must be happy). It's so simple that after I showed him how to do it once *buy, and transfer songs), he pushed me off the computer and went right at it. So far he is really happy about the the iPod Mini and is telling everyone about it and what all he has on there. I'm just glade he got it working for him, as he leaves tomorrow.

Back