iPod mystery port explained?

theed

Registered
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but doesn't the "speaker out" looking deal in the back of the iLamp look EXACTLY like the mystery port on the iPod? Powered proprietary speaker connection backwards compatible with standard 1/8" stereo jacks?

Just looking for confirmation here, I'm having trouble finding these old pics, and I'm way too poor to buy myself a frivilous dewice like an iPod.

I don't know what the 'thing' on the back of the iPod is (haven't looked) but that port looking thing on the new iMac is for a security lock. Like iBooks and TiBooks have.

between the headphone jack and the firewire ports. unless I'm way out of synch and Apple chose a horrid icon for their new security port, that's not a security port.

Aren't they still using the old rectangular slot security thingy? And why would you put it between the headphone jack and the firewire ports unless it had something to do with either audio or firewire?

The ports on the back appear to be arranged from center to outside in order of least often unplugged to most often unplugged. Security should either be in a different location altogether or next to the power socket.

Uhh, are you guys talking about the Pro Speaker Jack? From what i can tell from the Tech Specs page for the new iMac the Pro Speaker Jack on the back of the iMac looks like the same port as the headphone port on my iPod. Is this the "Mystery" port you're talking about? I have heard some speculation that this port on the iPod is supposed to accept some kind of remote control device, but who knows?

lata

Umm.. that looks like a line-out jack. What mystery is there to it? On my g/f's iPod there is only the headphone jack and the fire wire jack. No mystery ports here.

That's what I was trying to find out. Apparently the iPod will also accept the pro speakers. It's not a remote control, it's so that you can plug the pro speakers directly into an iPod. I'm curious if the iPod then provides power to the speakers.

What DO those other pins do? I assume it won't power a subwoofer, but how cool would it be to go to work with your iPod from home and hook the computer speakers into the iPod, the iPod into the computer, upload the work that you finished last night at hame while listening to the new NiN album that you MP3ified last week. The computer would still have basic sound thanks to every mac having a built in speaker, and you'd have sweet music. If you like NiN of course. :)

i heard that the jack will accept an inline remote control.... similar to those used in other walkman style devices.

as for plugging in Apple Prop Speakers.... hmmm. I don't that would have the effect you are looking for. I don't think the mini jack would have a enough power to drive those relatively large speakers.

Originally posted by rinse
I don't think the mini jack would have a enough power to drive those relatively large speakers.

In that context I don't think that size matters that much... :)

Originally posted by gumse

In that context I don't think that size matters that much... :)

please explain.

a standard headphone/line out puts out minmal (miliamps) of power. without amplification, a set of non-powered speakers will sound like a set of headphones sitting on a desk. not pleasurable sounding to me.

i don't know much about the apple pro speakers, but i thought they were non-powered.

Originally posted by rinse

i don't know much about the apple pro speakers, but i thought they were non-powered.

It was a "size" joke, you are right, the apple pro speakers are non powered. When I was on vacation over the holidays I brought a pair of powered speakers and my iPod, worked ok.

the "mystery" port is - as it was already pointed out - for headphone jacks with a remote control, released later this year.

Here can you see the new remote thing to the iPod. I think it makes the iPod into a universal remote control. Griffin is the producer and will relase it in a few weeks for around $200-$300.

Back