iPod news?

Dime5150

Registered
Has anyone heard any rumors on any updates to the iPod? I'm going to get one with my tax return. I was planning on getting the 10 gig butI can wait a little bit but would like to have one soon.

Any potential news for a time table for an update?

Should I just say forget it and get the 10 gig? I'm just not sure especially since they have the 5 gig unavailable.

well the more you wait the more opportunity you miss to listen to all your music at once.
Go w/ the 10 gig, I have the 5 gig and if you have more than 600 cds you are gonna need all the space you can get.

I have the 10G and would also say it's a great machine to get. If prices fall a week later or new, cooler models are introduced, it's bad of course. But you won't lose anything, basically. The 10G iPod will still happily play your music. I'd wait just now. ;)

My 5GB iPod has just passed away (Firewire port dies)... I don't know should I wait for new models or buy now...

i should wait.... Apple is in its "Releasing-many-new-products"-period, so i'm sure that they will release an updated iPod soon!

ddma that sucks your iPod died. How long did yo have it? I hope mine dosen't die. I would hate to have to replace it ever two years.

Matthew

I got mine in January. I was drooling for one since July, was to get one for Christmas, but .. was waiting for MWSF (beginning of January) .. then finally, in the end of January I got it. Couldn't wait for more. Buying it ... felt like awaiting for Murphy's laws application - 'As soon as you buy Apple hardware, the updates (lower price or better model) will be released.' (didn't apply).
Just get it. Having seen all those 'hot' rumors of the new ipods coming out in MWSF or 'next tuesday' (since January) .. maybe they'll come out once everyone will have quit expecting them. Just get it! ;)

I don't think we will see new iPods until Apple's online music system is ready. Then I think we will see a new version of iTunes, new iPods (just bumps), and firmwire upgrades for old iPods. So I think it is a matter of getting the service ready.

Matthew

Check out the "Special deals" section right now. You can get a 20G iPod for the same as a 10G. Yes, refurbished, but I have had better luck with refurbish stuff than just out of the box.

Hmm yea that looks really enticing 20 gig for 10 gig price! but.. i don't want to get an ipod with scratches all over the back and used. Do you think it will be ok?

I'm still awaiting tax return check. Maybe i can squeeze the wallet a bit to get the 20 gig.

Macos rumors says that expect iPod update to come this month. As well as the apple music service.

I can't live without mine... However, I really wish it was just a tad bit rounder like that of a glass case. The problem is when I run for a long time with it the hard lines on the edges of the case start digging into my hands. But otherwise this is the best Mp3 player I've owned in the last 3 years.

Originally posted by ddma
My 5GB iPod has just passed away (Firewire port dies)... I don't know should I wait for new models or buy now...

Wow...I didn't even know that could happen....Hope that doesnt happen often tho...I have a 10 gig iPod too and like it alot.

my 5 gig's firewire port is dying rapidly. i have to disconnect/reconnect it about 10 times for the computer to recognize it. =(

I wouldn't worry about scratches. I got a refubished 5 gig and it was perfect. There was no way to tell it wasn't new. The must have replaced to case and re-used the internals. Even the headphones were new, 399 for a 20 gig is good. Mine was perfect.

Originally posted by Pabst
I wouldn't worry about scratches. I got a refubished 5 gig and it was perfect. There was no way to tell it wasn't new. The must have replaced to case and re-used the internals.
Maybe they just buffed it down? I would suspect they'd do that before replacement... How easy is it to get scratches, etc. out?

An iPod without scratches is called 'unused'. Really, don't worry about them, because it'll just happen. Unless you don't touch it. At all. :)

my 5 gig's firewire port is dying rapidly. i have to disconnect/reconnect it about 10 times for the computer to recognize it. =(

That might just be the connectors on your firewire cable getting old and wore out. I'd try getting a new cable before an iPod :)

I've been dieing to get an iPod, but alas, they are much too expensive for me. I'm still waiting for that 50-100 dollar price drop to justify the purchase :-\

Grr i'm having a tough time controlling myself not getting an iPod. Someone talk me through this! HAHA. The 20 gig refurb is really enticing me!

I think I can hold out till first of april. If no update i'm taking the plunge!

I believe this is hurting apples sales. I know people who want one but are holding out. I'm afraid they day will come when they'll get tired of waiting, and either not buy one or go to something else. Most people don't wanna buy one just to have a new one sometime soon.

I agree with twister. Apple is shooting themselves in the foot.

My brother-in-law wanted to get an iPod and was actually thinking about crossing over. He has been waiting for the update to come out because it has been so long since. He has given up. He says why wait for something for this long!

Back