iPod not updating recently

Harvey

Registered
Hey guys, this is related to my post way back when... which I cannot locate right now.

Anyway, recently when I plug my 3rd gen ipod into my powerbook G4, the ipod starts charging its battery, but my powerbook completely ignores its existance.

No syncing, no mounting, nothin!

So I cannot change the songs which are on my ipod now, or get data off of it.

Has anyone seen this before? Or have an idea of how to cure it?

I have tried soft rebooting the ipod, which seems to have no effect.

I'm running iTunes 7.0 and MacOS 10.4.7 ipod is version 1.5.

Thanks for any help!

I have the same situation with my iBook G4 and iPod nano.

I've tried the alt+apple+p+r reboot -- nothing.
I tried a memory stick in the USB port and it doesn't work either.

I'm also waiting for a reply....

Can you try with a different cable, computer or iPod? Have you installed the latest updates?

I tried the cable and ipod with my husbands powerbook and it worked just fine... so I am pretty sure the problem lies with my ibook and the USB ports.

Would reinstalling OSX help?

The same cable also serves to recharge the ipod fine, so I think the cable is OK.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?

I have some new podcasts I would like to put into my ipod!

Have you tried repairing permissions and restarting?
apps/utilities/disk utility/repair permissions

If that doesn't work, do a Single User Mode repair:
reboot holding the command + s keys/hold till black screen white text appears/type fsck -f/type reboot when finished

itunes has a great update software feature, but it only works if the ipod is seen by itunes so that doesn't help you much.

Given that you were unable to mount a USB stick as well, this sounds like a problem with the iBook. You'd have to do a re-install to completely isolate the problem, but this sounds like a hardware problem. If you have a firewire drive handy, you could do a test install of OS X on that. What is the model of the iBook? If you're still under warranty (1 yr complimentary, 3 yrs AppleCare), bring it in. See if you're iBook qualifies for this program: http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/. Though your symptoms are not listed on the program, a USB failure is likely to be a logic board problem as well.

All is well now and my computer can recognize the USB stick and ipod.
I just reinstalled OS X.

It's two years old now so the warranty has expired.
Thank you so much for all the tips!

If it is a logic board problem, then I will have to get it serviced?

If re-installing OS X fixed it, then the USB issue was probably a software issue. An update or some program could have inadvertently damaged the USB software. If the problem persists, then something may be up with the logic board, but a logic board repair can be expensive (I just did one for an old Ti PB 15", the new part cost $300)

It turned out that there was something wrong with my USB plug because a USB-stick didn't work either. I reinstalled OS X and now it's up and running.

Ahh i have the same problem... i have tried everything listed above and it wont recognize that my ipod is even plugged into my computer. i am really getting frustrated. Please somebody reply with the answer.... i am getting sick of this!!!

Back