iPod on SNL

wdw_

Rockee
They had Chris Kantan using an iPod on the SNL scetch "Nick Burns: The Company's Computer Guy". They even mentioned that it held 1000 songs.:D

It was cool wasn't it! I saw it.

I said mom, THATS what i want for my birthday

=]
nice imacs and iPod. Pretty funny too

Yeah, my friend commented on how that skit was like a giant apple commercial. Even Jimmy Fallon was talking about the Control Strip and things like that. No windows there. =)

i saw that. the way they presented it, it was more like a plug for the iPod. I mean, he could have said "I need to transfer songs to my mp3 player..." and it would have been just as good. whoever wrote that sketch must have a thing for Apple. :)

I saw the skit last night too. I was surprised that it was a plug for Apple. When the skit first started I thought, here we go, more Apple bashing, but was pleasantly surprised at hearing about the control strip and the iPod. Now all we need them to do is mention, just casually, how bad Windows really is......

chemistry_geek

Originally posted by chemistry_geek
Now all we need them to do is mention, just casually, how bad Windows really is

Well, they did mention the employee's being as slow as an Intel Pentium 1.

Originally posted by Red Phoenix
Heck, that skit was one big Apple-fest.

Don't know how much you watch SNL, but in *every* Nick the Computer Guy sketch they're using Macs. One of the first ones he talks about going to the Chooser, etc. Every once in a while they'll stick some Windows-only jargon, but 90% of it's Mac OS.
One of the ones with Gwyneth Paltrow (IIRC) had her playing the female geek down in the basement with Nick.

Pope, can't believe he typo'd "Chooser" ;)

Those Nick Burns sketches are great. He's like the little voice inside the head of anybody who's ever done tech support that we have to try so hard to ignore. It would be so much easier if I could just tell people "Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about, and you know that, but you still want to make me think that you have some clue what those terms your spouting actually mean." Why do people act like this most often when they are getting help from a tech support person? Do they need to pretend they know what's really going on for some sick reason? I've never seen a guy go to a cardiologist complaining of chest pains and start blaming it on "aortic fibrilation - it must be a virus that I caught from that guy that looked at me." How many times have you been on a commercial flight when one of the passengers got up, walked to the cockpit, told the pilot what he thought was causing the turbulence, and suggested what buttons to press? It just amazes me how some folks can be so skeptical about something of which they know little or nothing. Okay, I'm done complaining, but I've got a good feeling that I'm not speaking only for myself.

ooh i remember the one with him in the basement with the female nerd too!

Heheh

They also one time talked about those old commodore and atari's

testuser,
Yeah, you do make a very important point. I'm not criticizing everybody that makes suggestions. Heck, I've had some pretty obvious things pointed out to me that I overlooked for some assinine reason. And I certainly don't claim to be right 100% of the time. The thing that really irritates me is when a fairly intelligent person who knows nothing about computers suddenly starts telling you what they think the problem is (usually with 95% misused terms,) and everything you try and tell them goes in one ear and out the other. They just "know" they are right. I'm sure this happens occasionally in just about any profession, but it seems most common in the technology fields. Rrgghh, cruel, cruel fate. But speaking of the episode with Jamie Foxx, perhaps it offers insight to why people do this sort of thing. In some cases, it might just be macho instincts kicking in, but for many people, owning a computer (or a car) is little like having a newborn baby. You interact with it on a daily basis, it depends completely on you for proper operation (I use the term a bit loosely here,) and you may very well not have a single clue about how it works . . . and it scares the s*** out of you. If you have something that seems so fragile, it's a bit comforting to think you know a little something about how to keep it from going belly up. In the case of computers, even a delusion will do. Have you ever noticed this similarity between computers and infants before? People always seem to be ready to give their infallable parenting advice, but rarely prepared to accept someone else's... Oh well; such is life. But on the plus side, now we all have a really good topic to choose next time we have to write a paper. ;-)

Heh, well, hopefully the kid isn't any more of a handful than I was. That would be a rather nervewracking fate. Ah, the fun of a midnight sense of humor.
And since the general discussion seems to be about the iPod I'll try to be a little bit on topic. Does anybody know what steps must be taken to start the built in Breakout game? I want to give it a go if I see an iPod on display somewhere.

Hello?

Hi, my computer froze and when I reboot, It only get's to the "Your computer may not have been shut down properly"

Fix: Plug your keyboard back in.

Also applies to 8 + 9 in a way.

Heh. That's frightening, but I haven't heard that complaint. . . yet. . . But I did spend a good portion of my senior year in high school keeping a freshman tech lab in working order, and the complaint I heard most, in these exact words, was "It won't print." I could have done that one in my sleep: go to the Finder from At Ease, open the AppleTalk/Network control panel, select ethernet, open the Chooser, pick LaserWriter 8, click the printer, return to At Ease. Why those PRAM batteries always had so much trouble is beyond me.

It's actually quite simple to get to play the built-in Breakout game. Seeing as I have my iPod right in front of me, these 3 steps will work flawlessly every time.

1) Make sure you are on the very first menu ("root menu", if you will). You can accomplish this by pressing the "menu" button a bunch of times. ;)

2) Scroll with the scrollpad to the "About" entry. Press the center button to go into it.

3) Press and hold down the center button until the Breakout game comes up. It will start once you release the center button. Control is via the scrollpad.

You know what's so cool about this? Your music keeps playing while you play breakout! Veeeery nice. :D

If you want to initiate another game after losing all 3 lives, just press the center button again after you lose. To get out of the game at any time, just press the "menu" button.

Back