ipod through cars radio

Zeigan

Registered
I saw a piece of hardware that allows you to play your ipod through your cars fm radio on apples site. How well does this thing work? I know it wont be cd quality, but is it decent? Would you buy one? More specifically, does anyone have it?

I wish i bought a car cd player with a line in.

I'm thinking of getting the iTrip, I've read very good things about it and its not too dear, about $35. It looks quite cool too :)

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/

I'd have a look at somewhere like ipodhacks.com, I remember seing a post about transmitter add-ons.

As for sound quality, remember that the music you're playing off you're iPod won't be CD quality (unless you're playing aiffs) but I wouldn't think that there will be much of a loss anyway. FM radio sounds fine and I can't see any problems with interference over such a short distance (especially inside a car).

I'm interested to hear peoples experiences too as I might buy an iTrip, let us know how you get on if you do buy one!

It's not the iTrip, but I have tried two different FM transmitters, both of which run off 2 AAA batteries.

https://www.myirock.com/myirock/sho...01&department_current=40&search_product_name=

http://www.welovemacs.com/lovemacs/sf120.html

I found both to be similar in price and usage. I thought the irock had a little better battery life and it looks a little jazzier and more stable than the soundtransmitter.
Btw, I got the irock outside the US, so that link mayt not ship outside of NA, but it is available.

Both are solid for in-door use with a home stereo or boom box. In my estimation, the irock had a little stronger signal in a car. I also thought I would prefer being able to choose my own setting, but I tended to find more radio signals ghosting over and having to fiddle with it with the soundstransmitter.

The irock seemed to hold a signal much better while on the move. So I left the transmitter at my g/f's home and keep the irock with me.

There's also the Belkin already out which looks quite similar to the irock, though I haven't heard any comments about it just yet.

The irock looks cool, but i dont want to constantly put batteries in it sincei t will be for my truck.

The itrip looks like it may do what i want.

Thanks

2 AAA batteries don't cost much. I'm interested in seeing how much the iTrip drains the iPod battery since it draws power from the player.

I saw those in Apple Store, I don't remember which producer they had ... they were like under 30 $. Maybe i'll try, just to know,

iTrip is the way to go. I have heard nothing but negatives on iRock, while only positives--including signal quality-- on the iTrip.

I'm a little biased, mine arrived today!

Originally posted by Randman
2 AAA batteries don't cost much. I'm interested in seeing how much the iTrip drains the iPod battery since it draws power from the player.

That should be a non-issue. Just get a cigarette lighter adapter for the iPod.

that should be a non-issue. Just get a cigarette lighter adapter for the iPod.
That's also rather inelegant unless you're in for a long drive. If you're going that far, you might as well get a line out.

I have heard nothing but negatives on iRock, while only positives--including signal quality-- on the iTrip.
What negatives? I've had mine for almost a month now and it works fine. The iTrip does look nice, but how much word of mouth could there be since it only started shipping late last week?!
I'll check ipodlounge and ipoding to see if they have comparisons between all of them, including the Belkin. I don't have any interest in any one brand, just the best one (with the least impact on quality and powe consumption) and of the 2 I've personally tested, the irock was better, imho,

http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=P21_0_6_0_C

Podlounge is iTrippin'
Griffin shipped our iTrip overnight to iPodlounge and now it's in our hands. Simply put, its' the coolest gadget for iPod. The digital FM transmitter didn't drift off frequency and provided good sound reception in a small package. So far we're impressed. The iTrip has a blue LED which isn't in any of Griffin's product photos. The LED indicates the iTrip is 'locking-in" the chosen frequency on initial setup. Then, choose your song and iTrip is transmitting it to your FM receiver. A more detailed review will be posted next week. There are photos posted in the forums.

http://www.ipodhacks.com/article.php?sid=140

I'll be interested in seeing how iTrip works.

If i am using it in my truck, i could care less about how elegant something is, even though the ipod is one sexy little thing. I was planning on getting the cigarette adapter anyways since i plan to do a week long bicycle/state park trip where i wont have a computer.

Thanks for the comments.

I have the iTrip and I do have a couple of problems with it. First, it doesn't stay on as well as it should. This doesn't mean it falls off, it just comes off enough to stop getting power from the iPod. It is especialy bad if you are charging it while it is attached to your car. Second, in my car and some others, the reception isn't that great. Although this might be a moot point since it does work well in some other cars. The iTrip and ipod have to be real close to the radio (meaning inches) for it to work well at all.

It does look nice thought and is very convenient.

One last point when playing the recently played playlist, it will sometimes grab a song that is used to change the iTrip's frequency and then you have to change it back.

I have a cheap (no name) fake casette that you connect with a cable to the headphone-out on the ipod and then you put the fake casette in the car stereo, works ok.

I use iRock and I'm not happy with it. Works well for a while then goes to shit. My iTrip is on backorder. I wish it would come already. And in rentals cars, that had a cassette deck, a cassette tape worked well. ( you know those things you get will most CD players )

Well I got the new iPod and need a transmitter. Griffin messed up by not waiting until the new iPods came out or getting the info to make a revised one before they released them all.

So what i'm trying to say is i'm sick of waiting. I guess i'll get the iRock or whatever is on apples site.

I use iRock and I'm not happy with it. Works well for a while then goes to sh**
Well, if you get a lot of signal bleed from stations during your commute, the iTrip may not be much better.

My issue is the wire that goes from the iRock to the iPod. It seems to bend and break. I went through two in less then a month and when i got the third one i put electrical tape around it so it couldn't bend as much. I believe that my current one is now breaking inside too. If it's sitting on the seat next to me it sounds soft, but if i put my hand over it it sounds great.

my brother has an itrip! It always works good in his car! I think bad recepiton has to do with the quality of your antennae on your car. Anyway itrip rocks

Back