iPod touch: How to get rid of the software pitch?

OrganLeroy

Registered
Ever since last month, every time I connect my iPod Touch to my Powerbook for syncing, iTunes forces me to say "no thanks" to the January software upgrade. This is annoying enough in itself, but now I can't even get the sales pitch to disappear by dismissing it. Both dismissal choices on the screen ("No Thanks" and "Remind Me Later") take me to yet another sales pitch screen.

As a result, I can't administer the iPod Touch via iTunes at all. Ejecting the iPod Touch and re-connecting makes no difference. Quitting iTunes and restarting makes no difference.

Has anyone else noticed this?

UPDATE: Here's the chorus-of-annoyance thread about this over at Apple Support. The work-around to this problem (suggested by one of the users on the forum) is to click the "stop" button (to the right of the progress bar at the top) as the iTunes store is automatically loading. You've got to be quick if you're on a fast connection.

Apple, get your act together.

Last edited:
Apple, get your act together.

I agree....it's unlike Apple to be this sleazy......but it worked for them in my case....I finally bought the damn software to get rid of it. Now I get to complain bitterly about Apple for the first time in 23 years as an Apple loyalist.

Maybe you could also disconnect from the 'net for a few secs. Of course it's sad that Apple tries to force the upgrade like that. I personally think they should've made it possible to upgrade for free, but I guess fighting about that is rather futile. For buyers now, it's like it should've been in the first place.

I agree, though, that you should actually buy the software upgrade. It's really worth the money imnsho.

Back