Ipod touch

sourmash

Registered
I just bought an Ipod touch 8gig and I am trying to download an application and it is not letting me.There is not even a tab in the main menu for it. Do I need to download additional sowftware for this or is 8gig not enough for applications.I dont have a wifi router or bluetooth connection either I'm not sure if that's part of the problem.

I'm sure it's just like my iPhone. You download apps thru the App Store on the iPodTouch or through iTunes Store in iTunes on your Mac or PC. The Touch will NOT download without WiFi. You also need to sign up in the iTunes Store 1st, then "authorize" your Touch.

My iPhone only has 4 Gigs, and I have over 60 apps already and TONS of more room.

If you have no wifi and it's a 'touch' and not a 'phone', there is no way for an app to download. Either enable wifi (in a wifi zone) or download the app via iTunes on your computer and then sync to the 'touch' (this of course assumes your computer has an internet connection).

I have an internet connection and I was able to download the app into my itunes account but there is no tab for me to sync the app onto my itouch .on my computer I have a program called airport and one for bluetooth when I open either one of them they start looking for wireless hardware is this the same as wifi.I have a mac osx leopard.

No wireless between iPod Touch and Mac. It has to be hard wired with the cord supplied by Apple. Hook it up with an open USB port and open iTunes. You will see your iPod Touch in the left hand column.

Open this window and "Sync" with the button on bottom right.

There are possible sources of confusion here, I expect. As SGilbert points out, the connection between the iPod touch and your Mac must be made using the white cable (USB for your Mac at one end, "Dock connector" for the iPod at the other end). If we are talking essentially about using your Mac to install apps on the iPod touch, then WiFi and Bluetooth are irrelevant here.

Firstly, ensure iTunes is running on your Mac. Once you have plugged the cable into your Mac and then the iPod touch, you will see iTunes become aware of the iPod being attached. If you click on the iPod touch icon, under "Devices" on the left hand side, you will see a summary screen for it. Your software version should be 2.x (most likely 2.2). If it is 1.1.4 or earlier, for some reason, then you won't be able to install any apps until you pay for the upgrade through iTunes. If it is showing up as 2.x, it should automatically install the apps.

While the iPod touch is selected, there should be an "Applications" tab, amongst others (e.g. Summary, Music, Movies, etc.), in the main window. Make sure you enable syncing and that you either sync all (iPod touch) applications or that you have selected specific applications to sync.

On a different note (and potentially muddying the waters!), it is possible to more directly connect the iPod touch to the iTunes Store to download apps. This can only occur, however, when the iPod touch's WiFi is switched on and you have a wireless internet connection available for it to use. Then you can use the blue "App Store" icon on the iPod touch to browse and download apps without going via your Mac.

If you follow the above, with any luck all should be OK! Let us know how you get on. :)

And adding to that, the obvious: You need an iTunes Store account. Can't even get the freebies without one.

Yup, that's very true, fryke. I'd assumed this was in hand because SGilbert had mentioned signing up to the iTunes Store, but also sourmash had said they had already successfully downloaded an application via iTunes. Still worth the reminder, though! :)

Just like "bbloke" said: make sure your software version is 2.x (most likely 2.2). If it is 1.1.4 or earlier you won't be able to install any apps until you pay for the upgrade through iTunes ($9.99). If it is showing up as 2.x, it should automatically install the apps. I had to do this with mine. Everything is good now.

Back