iPod Update Petition

It was supposed to be easy for Apple to add features to it. And the reason there are no third party apps as you said before is that Apple hasn't released any SDK's.

Oh, can people stop with the crap analogies please!!

"So when Sony adds a new software feature to their TV sets that, say, controls volume automatically, should we all expect Sony to come out and update our three year old TVs with the same features?"

No, but we don't expect Apple to "come out" and update our iPods. We would just like them to make an update available online. If there was an easy way for us to make these upgrades to our TV sets (via a simple, automated, online upgrade), then I would expect them to make it available to us. Lots of devices you connect to you computer are upgradeable via downloads that either update the device firmware or the drivers for connecting to it.

"So when Adobe adds features to PhotoShop CS, all the PhotoShop 7 users start whining that they want the same features, too, right?"

No, because they can upgrade the software by buying new software, they don't have to buy a whole new computer (usually). I actually wouldn't mind paying to upgrade the software in my iPod. Also, the features Apple are adding are small tiny little things. It's not really worth buying a whole new iPod for the features they've added. With Photoshop, it generally is worth buying the new version, and if it wasn't, then people wouldn't buy it.

Also, there really is no point likening it to other things anyway. I mean, what a dumb excuse that is:

Q: Why don't Apple offer X
A: Well, because company A, B and C don't offer something similar in their vaguely similar markets either.

It's also a really rather childish excuse too:

Mum: Jimmy, why did you do that.
Jimmy: Because I saw Billy doing it!

Some of you really do just seem far too happy to except things being the way they are, and as you're Apple users that really suprises me. I started using Apple computers because I wasn't happy with the way things were - and I'd have thought many of you did so for the same reason.

No, Apple aren't "screwing" over users particularly, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't still kick up a fuss to try and make things better.

Let's all calm down, shall we? I say: Let those people sign the petition, if they want to. Won't help, of course, but so be it. It's very, very simple: Apple wants 1G and 2G iPod owners to upgrade to 4G iPods. The 3G iPod owners probably won't upgrade yet, but the older ones might. These small new features are what set the iPod generations apart. Each generation is good, but Apple wants you to sell your old and get a new one.

I find it hard to understand that some people seem to think they have some sort of 'right' on what's Apple gonna do in the future. You didn't pay 299 or 399 (or even 499) for the _future_ of the iPod, you paid for the present, for the device you've bought. The iPod is upgradable so that Apple can give out bugfixes in form of firmware upgrades. Is your iPod buggy? Either wait for a bugfix or bring it back to the store. But that thought of having bought into future iPods seems very, very strange to me.

fryke said:
But that thought of having bought into future iPods seems very, very strange to me.

I think the reason is because people think that they need to have all the latest and greatest of everything but they are too cheap to pay for it.

This is the keeping up with the Jones' syndrome where people think that they must have the latest stuff to keep up with everyone else even though what they have is perfectly fine.

And that's one of the reasons for the success of P2P... with people downloading more games than they have time to play, more movies than they have time to watch...

Personally, I will be buying a new iPod, but not for any of the software features - you really would have to have more money than sense to buy a new one for that reason (which is part of why I don't understand Apple not offering these features to older users).

The reason I am upgrading is so that I can get that compact-flash reader thingie - which isn't compatible with my 2nd generation iPod - so I take lots of nice hi-res pictures when I'm on holiday.

To be quite honest with you guys, I’m dirt broke and I’m hanging on to my 1st Generation iPod with a 20min battery life span for as long as I can, because I simply can’t afford another one. I personally would like to have some of the new features on my old iPod if possible :confused:

You could sell both that iBook and iMac and get, maybe, two or three 4G iPods. ;-)

Well the iMac is a family computer and the iBook is my brothers, I might be able to sell the iBook because my brother never uses it, but my parents might that that its selfish!

Back