iPod updater 1.2.1...

Yeah. I'd like to see AAC support on the iPod soon. And I think Apple has a big interest in that as well. Imagine what a giant leap the iPod would be ahead of competing mp3-players with that technology...
The only question is, whether the current iPods are capable of AAC playback...
Does anyone know something about that?

Anyways, my guess is that if Apple releases AAC-support for the iPod, then it will be at the same time as AAC-encoding is impemented into iTunes - maybe the next update?

1500 songs in your pocket sounds nice.

for something such as aac decoding they're not going to be using an incremental update, something such as 1.2.1 It'll be a large step in numbers. 1.3 maybe?

On a side note... what do you call an mp3 player that isn't playing mp3's? Instead it's using an entirely different file format :D

I believe "Digital Music Player" is the politically correct term for the iPod, since it already supports MP3, AIFF, WAV and other formats.

I think iTunes is supposed to get an update early next year (steve mentioned a 6 months timeframe when he demoed itunes playlist sharing via rendevous). Hopefully it will happen at that time...

Forgive my ignorance ... but what is AAC format? What are the advantages, besides flexibility of another format?

Mac G-4/400 Mhz;80Gig Apple drive;100Gig Maxtor drive;Lacie Cd R/W;17" Studio;13" beige dis.;iPod.

AAC is an audio format based on MPEG-4 which offers the same quality as MP3 at half the size.

MP3 (or MPEG-1 layer 3) is a technology which is at *least* five years old (most likely more), and thus incredibly obsolete.

Back