iPod wont mount in iTunes or on Desk top

sredhead

Registered
When I plug my ipod to my computer, there is a little magnifying glass and a CD icon that appears on my ipod icon, when it finishes doing that, theres an exclamation mark with a CD on my ipod icon so it never actually connects to my computer. I can't reinstall the iPod's software because the computer doesn't mount it. Any ideas how to get it working again.
Computer is 14" iBook and iPOd is 5 gb original type with 1.31 software.

sredhead said:
When I plug my ipod to my computer, there is a little magnifying glass and a CD icon that appears on my ipod icon, when it finishes doing that, theres an exclamation mark with a CD on my ipod icon so it never actually connects to my computer. I can't reinstall the iPod's software because the computer doesn't mount it. Any ideas how to get it working again.
Computer is 14" iBook and iPOd is 5 gb original type with 1.31 software.

As we said on the other forums, try a different firewire cable :D

MBHockey said:
As we said on the other forums, try a different firewire cable :D

This idea didn't work. So need to find a more suitable solution to the problem by asking in other forums.

sredhead said:
This idea didn't work. So need to find a more suitable solution to the problem by asking in other forums.
Ok, have you tried hooking up a different firewire device to your computer? Or, have you tried hooking up your iPod to another mac?

My first generation 5 gb iPod won't mount in iTunes or the desk top - just shows the iPod icon with a CD icon on it and a ? mark. Using iBook 14" with iTunes 4.2. Previously no issues. Have reinstalled iTune and tried to reinstall iPod software 1.3.1 again but as the unit won't mount can't get success.
Firewire port and the firewire cable were checked with another peripheral and these are both working.
Tried reseting the iPod but the all the songs in the ipod disappeared.

Any IDeas welcome.

Thank you MBHockey will try.

[Quote e-mail reply:Just resetting your iPod shouldn't erase anything. The only time that happens if you restore your iPods software. Ok, so it worked on a different mac. I'm wondering if there may be something wrong with your firewire port. When you plug in the iPod and then go to your System Profiler and then hardware does it say "iPod" indented and underneath "FireWire Bus"?

Also, have you tried connecting someone elses iPod to your mac? When did you notice that your iPod stopped working with your mac.]

iSight camera works with the same cable and the firewire port, so these are fine. As I said after reseting the iPod the song list on the iPod disappeared. If I can mount the iPod on the desktop so I can reinstall the 1.3.1 software it would be grate. As no songs are showing now on the iPod display the issue is directly with the iPod and not the iBook.

Back