Ipod wont mount!

amolholm

Registered
Ive spent the last several hours looking around on the web to be able to figure out how to fix and nothings worked so far.

I have a semi old 10GB ipod (1 1/2 years old).

All my songs and settings recently disappeared from my ipod. When i plug into both my eMac (with tiger) or powerbook G4 (with panther) it shows a spinning disk with a magnifier and the ipod doesn't mount - it doesn't show on desktop, itunes, disk utility, or ipod updater.

I think if i could get it to show up i can restore it and reload my music - just cant figure out how to get it to show up.

Tried resetting by holding menu and play keys - got the apple icon but then it just went back to the spinning disk and magnifier.

Tried holding fast forward and rewind and it went into disk utility mode but still didn't show up on either computer.

After reading that the spinning disk icon means the ipod is in process of doing a disk scan, i finally let it finish the process. Still no change. Just tried resetting again by holding menu and play and it just restarted this scanning disk process from start (takes about 20 minutes to complete).

Any ideas?? Im desperate.

Maybe my firewire cord isn't working anymore? How can i figure out definitively if this is true? When plugged into either computer it does charge the ipod so something is working (and the problems only started when the ipod data and settings mysteriously disappeared).

FYI - ive already updated both computers with the most recent software, unplugged all other USB and firewire devices and restarted several times (even tried restarting while holding shift key).

Im hoping there is something i can do....

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Back