iPod

What do you think about the iPod?

• It's useless

• It's ugly

• It's too expensive

• It's useless, ugly and too expensive

• Oh man! Only for mac users? I hate Apple!

• It's cool!

• I really love it! It's sooooo cool!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by robp
iPod is very cool, but too big, and probably too heavy. The idea of taking a hard disk jogging is a bit worrying - I hope it comes with a good warranty.

But it won't stop me getting one, cus it is just soooooo cool!

Too big? Too heavy? Are you serious?? The iPod is only one of the (if not THE) smallest, lightest harddrive-based mp3 player out there. Or, at least, it will be once it ships. And then, the imitators will start to show up.. ;)

The warranty is probably not what I would consider 'good' - only 90 days. But, although I can't put my hands on the specs, the microdrive that's in the Pod should be able to hand at least 2 or 3 G's while running, which should be sufficient, unless you jog with it in the bottom of your shoe.. And remember, it's only going to spin up about once every 20 minutes to fill the buffer. When the drive isn't actually running, it should be totally unaffected by physical shock (within reason, of course ;) )

It's like christmas in November for me. I can hardly wait.

can you save both forms of data on the iPod? acn you say store 2gigs of files and have MP3's playing at the same time? sorry if this is an obvious question, but i haven't really checked it out further than this forum.

Originally posted by brodie
can you save both forms of data on the iPod? acn you say store 2gigs of files and have MP3's playing at the same time? sorry if this is an obvious question, but i haven't really checked it out further than this forum.

Yes, of course you can. The iPod shows up on the desktop as a Firewire hard drive, where you can put your files. In iTunes, you can put music on it. Maybe that too is possible in the Finder, I'm not sure... :)

can you use this with anything other than a mac? ie a nikon DX1 digital camera, capable of connecting to a FW drive. be good to know, as most other drives conflict.

Originally posted by brodie
can you use this with anything other than a mac? ie a nikon DX1 digital camera, capable of connecting to a FW drive. be good to know, as most other drives conflict.

Hmm, that was a good question... I haven't read anything about that, just that the iPod is only compatible with macs. Ask Apple...

thanks but Maccentral forums say no. shame. maybe its the nikons fault (firmware/drivers) but i cant find any firewire drives that are compatible. really hoped this would be the one.

When compared with the Sony Network Walkman it really is far too big. It may well be comparable with other similar sized MP3 players.

My NW-E3 is 8cm x 3cm x 1.5cm and weighs only a few grams. It only has 64MB, but the new ones have much more. Most of the weight is the single AAA battery that lasts for about five plays of the entire contents.

I agree that there is a significant difference in capacity between NW and iPod, the most significant of which is that I don't have to use really crappy sony magicgate software. I am also very attracted by the capacity, and firewire connectivity.

I currently carry my NW-E3 around everywhere because I usually can't tell that it is in my pocket. If Apple make an iPod that has the same effect they will not be able to sell enough macs to drive the iPods they are selling!

All of this said - I have written a one word letter to Santa - "iPod" :)

Robert.

Back